Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 24: Reaping

Like the last chapter, this is one of the oldest chapters of the book- among the first I wrote.  That's because I wrote it within a day or three of when the events happened.  Of all the chapters, these two are the ones I'm absolutely sure of the dialogue was EXACTLY what was said.  Not that I needed prompting to remember that night- I can still see Judy's accusing eyes and her the quivering in her voice as if it happened five minutes ago.  

I wrote it down because I figured it would make a good short story someday.  Back then, I wrote short stories.  I never thought I'd write a book.  Yet I did.

So, here is the second chapter that makes me look like an asshole.  Because I WAS an asshole- I hurt one of the people who meant the world to me.  (She still does- we've managed to remain friends.  I spoken to Virginia once in 30 years.)

I visit the Nittany Lion Shrine every time I visit PSU.  I used to walk up there when I was an undergrad to think through problems.  I've cried there many times.  I was ready to die there in 2013.  (I wrote about this elsewhere.)  Every time I go there, I think of this night.


The "Hollow plastic dummy" line is a reference to an earlier chapter- in Part 1 that I never posted.

*************************************************************************


Chap 24  Reaping

Sunday, November 9, 1986 Weapon deal tied to hijack

            The sun burned my eyes when I woke up, head throbbing.  I could hear the TV in the living room- football was on.  Bills- Steelers.  It seemed so loud. 
            I fell out of bed, staggered to my feet and limped to the bathroom.  I slept in my clothes, which smelled like puke, beer, and smoke.  Soon I was in the shower, trying not to think.  Thinking hurt- not just because of the hangover.
            What did I do last night?  And why?
            Should I tell Judy?
            Fuck.
            After I dressed, I joined Mark in the living room. 
            “Someone named Cheryl called while you were in the shower.  She left a number.  You look like shit.”
            “When did you get back?”
            “Hour or two ago.  There was no traffic.”
            “How’s Crystal?”
            “Fine.  She’s coming down next week.”
           
            I called Cheryl and we met at the Burger King on College Ave at 2:30.  She was still dressed in last night’s oxford.  We sat on the second floor, at a table for two overlooking the doors.
            “So did you enjoy the party?”  I asked.
            “It was great!”  she smiled wearily.
            “Where did you disappear to?”
            “We went back to his place.  He was sweet- very gentle” she said with a far away look in her eyes.  So this guy laid her while I couldn’t.  Dammit.
            “How was your night?” she asked, eyes focusing back to me.
            “I think I really fucked up.”
            “What happened?”
            “I got really drunk, and, um, kinda had sex with Virginia.”
            “Kinda or Did?”
            “Did.” 
            “You stud!” she smiled. 
            “But then there’s Judy.”
            “Look, you had sex with Virginia- you’re not married to her.  Just don’t tell Judy.”
            Virginia will tell her.  And I want to tell her first.”
            As if on cue, Judy and her brother walked into the restaurant.  Of all the fucking dumb luck.  Michael looked up, saw us and waved.  Judy stared.
            “Don’t tell her now.  Wait until her brother leaves.”
            “I figured that.  He doesn’t know about us.”
            “You really don’t have to do this.  You owe her nothing.  After all, she sleeps with her boyfriend every weekend.”
            Cheryl was right, and I knew it.  But I felt differently.
            “I have to tell her.  It’s the right thing to do.”
            “You’re only going to mess things up!” she said, touching my hand.
            I looked at her.  If I’d only stayed with Cheryl last night…
            “I already have.”
            A few minutes later, Judy and her brother came upstairs and sat at the table next to ours. 
            “What a coincidence!”  Michael said.  “We thought you’d both be eating someplace fancier.”
            Cheryl laughed.  “Not when I’m buying we aren’t!”
            We all laughed- a little forced.
            “We have to go.  Cheryl has a long ride ahead of her.”  I said, standing up.
            “It was really good meeting you!”  Judy smiled.
            As we left, I leaned over to Judy’s ear.  “We have to talk.”
            She looked at me with dead eyes.  She already knew.

Cheryl didn’t stick around long.  A quick shower, change of clothes, and she was on the road back to Millersville.  Now all I had to do was wait for a call from Judy.  She would always call after whoever (usually Richard) left.  So I waited.  And watched football.  And did homework.
            Sometime during the afternoon, the sky grew blue-grey and heavy, and the snow started drifting lazily to the ground.  By nightfall, the snow fell steadily and with purpose.
            Then Eagles just finished losing to the Giants 17-14 when the phone woke me up.  I’d fallen asleep with my head on my open statistics book.
Judy.
            “So.”  Her voice was flat- toneless.
            “Yeah.  Can we talk?”
            “Do you want to?”
            “Yeah.  We have to.”
            “Why?”  No inflection.  Cold.
            “We just do.  Can I come over?”
            “Sure, if you want.  It’s snowing.”
            “It is?  Oh yeah.  I’ll be right over.”
            “Whatever.”
            “Bye.”
            “Bye.”
            All of Happy Valley was muffled with the snowy silence as I walked down to Sutton Court.  I puzzled over scenarios in my brain.  What to say.  What to do.  How do I play it?
            The night was so very cold, and the wind blew the snow in my face.
            An age later, I knocked on the apartment door.  My blue jacket and tan knit hat were covered with white.
            “Who is it?” sang Virginia.
            “Me!”
            “Come on in, Me!”
            I walked in.  Shit.  I hadn’t thought about facing Virginia.
            “Hi!” she chirped.  She was lying on the living room floor, listening to Tom Petty and doing homework.
"Then he said, you better watch your step, Or your gonna get hurt yoo-seff” Tom cautioned.
“Hi” I replied, trying to act casual.  I hadn’t mastered that skill yet.  I still haven’t.
Judy came out of the bedroom with her coat on.  Her face was expressionless and cold.  Her eyes showed no spark.
“Do you want to walk?” she asked glumly.
“Sure!”
“We’ll be right back” she grumbled at Virginia, without looking at her.
“Ok!”  She was unusually cheerful.
We walked for a while at a brisk pace: not speaking, hands in pockets, listening to the snow whisper to the ground.  After a few blocks, we were crossing College Avenue and heading up into campus. Judy ended the silence.
            “You wanted to talk?” she asked brusquely.
            “Yeah.  This isn’t easy.”
            “What isn’t?”  Her tone was flat.  Dull.  Dead. Cold.
            Deep breath.  “I hooked up with Virginia last night.  We were both really drunk, and, umm…”
            “So?” She kept staring straight ahead.
            “Well, I wanted to tell you myself.  No lies.”
            “Why?  It’s none off my business.”
            “Well… because of… well, the way things are.
            Silence.
            “Because I… I care.”
            "If you cared, then how could you do that?  With her of all people!”  Judy stopped and screamed at me, tears running down her cheeks.  “Anyone else, Lance, anyone!  I wouldn’t have known and I wouldn’t have cared!  But Virginia!  Virginia!”
            Her lip quivered.  Eyes full of pain.  Then she stiffened, and glared straight into my eye. 
            “I don’t think I could ever make love to you.”  Her voice was husky, barely controlled.
            She would’ve been more merciful if she shot me.
            The snow fell in the miles between us.  She turned and kept walking.  I followed, not knowing what else to do.
            “Did she tell you?”  I asked, almost whispering.
            “No.  Michael did.  He was sleeping on the couch.  You woke him up when you came in.  He heard everything, and then he saw Virginia walk to the bathroom naked.  This morning he said ‘I guess Virginia really likes Lance’, and he told me what happened.”
            “I’m sorry.”
            “For what?”
            “Everything.”
            We continued uphill through campus, not really caring where we were going.  The snow fell heavier, the hoard of flakes hissing as they struck the ground.  We silently passed Pattee library when I finally grew a backbone.
            “Well, I put up with you sleeping with Rich most weekends.  I think you can forgive me one drunken mistake.  I mean- who are you to judge?”  My raised voice seemed flattened by the weight of the weather.  God was giving us our privacy.
            “What Richard and I do…” she glared.
            “What?”
            Softened.  “Nothing.  You don’t understand.”
            “Try me.”
            Her whole body heaved in a sigh and she stopped to face me.  “You knew about Rich from the beginning.  You accepted that part and told me you could live with it.  Virginia was…was…”
            “You’re still cheating on him.”
            “That’s my business.  Would you rather I didn’t?”  Her eyes tore through me.
            We looked at each other for a moment.  She knew the answer as well as I did.  No.  I wanted this.  I wanted this desperately.  I wanted her desperately.
            She turned and kept walking, and I with her.
            We walked to the Lion, which was covered with two inches of snow.
            “So now what?”  I asked.
            “I don’t know.  Are you going to start dating Virginia?”
            “No!  No.  I need to talk to her too.  Oh God!  How…?”  I leaned against the shrine.  Cold limestone.
            Judy stared down snow covered Burrows Rd- and its long slope to College Avenue.  The street lights were ghostly pointillist orbs.           
            “I’ve really enjoyed what we’ve shared.  I don’t want to lose that.  I don’t want to lose you.” My voice cracked.  Slightly.
            She looked back at me, tears flowing freely down her face.
            “I don’t know.”  She started to break down.  I reached out to hold her. She pushed me away and slapped me hard across the face.
            Virginia!  Of all people!” she screamed at the top of her lungs.  Then she started sobbing.
            I tried to hold her again, and this time she didn’t resist.  I held her close as she cried cried cried into my chest. 
            The snow fell all around us.  She cried.  I wanted to keep her warm- to say the right thing.  Anything.  Nothing.
            Behind us the Lion crouched, silently watching.  Cold Stone.  Like us.
            Eventually, Judy pulled away and looked down the street. 
            “I’m freezing,” she whispered.
            “Let’s go back to my place.”
            “No.  I’m going home.”
            We left the brightly lit Lion behind us in its curtain of white. 
            After a year or so of silently walking through campus through town, we arrived at their apartment.  Virginia was still on the tan carpeted floor doing homework, but now the TV was on behind her, quietly tuned to MTV.  Joe Elliot of Def Leppard was on stage singing something to a beautiful blond teenage girl in the worshipping audience.  Judy went directly to the bedroom, and I stood in the foyer next to the kitchen.
            “You look like a snowman!”  Virginia said smiling, looking over.
            “Yeah.  It’s snowing,” I replied, brushing myself off.
            “No shit!  I hadn’t noticed!”
            "Can I talk to you, umm…in the kitchen?”
            “Sure!” she said with a confused look on her face.
            She popped up and adjusted her top.  She was wearing her maroon letter sweatshirt and her favorite skintight jeans.
            We stepped into the darkened kitchen: the “scene of the crime.”  Less than twenty four hours earlier, we writhed passionately in that same spot.  Now I looked into her eyes, which for the first time seemed light and clear.  Of course, I didn’t know why.  Maybe because I didn’t care.
            “Um… about last night.  I don’t, I can’t I…”
            “Spit it out!  I won’t bite! Hard, anyway.”
            “I…I don’t want to seem like a typical fraternity pig or anything, but I’m not ready for any relationship right now.  I’m still hurting from Julianne.”
            “I figured,” she said cheerfully.
            “So, it’s cool?”
            “Sure!  No problem!  Is that it?”
            “Well… yeah.”
            “Ok.  By the way, what makes you think I wanted a relationship?”
            I looked at her for a moment, and then shrugged.  “I just… I don’t know.”
            “Ok.”  She went back into the living room and plopped back down to the floor and her homework, leaving me standing alone in the dark kitchen, snow melting off my jacket.  After a minute, I quietly left and trudged slowly through the snow back to the apartment, trying to ignore the quiet sucking sound that seemed to emanate from my chest.  I was hollow.  Plastic.  Dummy.
            The snow didn’t stop, and it was cold.
            When did it get so fucking cold?


No comments:

Post a Comment