Wednesday, October 17, 2018

I See London...

I woke up at oh-ugly-thirty with a bit of a hangover.  Showered, shaved, dressed, taxi to the station for the train at 6:22 AM, and...

Wrong train.  Again.  My train was 6:55.  Sh*t.  No real issue.  I could get off at Newcastle Upon Tyne, and switch there. (The 6:22 was going to Carlisle, and the 6:55 was going to Kings Cross, London.)  As it was, the train followed the coast, so for a part of the trip, I could see the North Sea.


Oh look- a castle in Newcastle


Newcastle Station

I switched at Newcastle Upon Tyne, and the rest of the trip went without an issue.  I slept a bit.

The train arrived early.  I walked to the tube station, went to the Tower Hill Stop, and walked to my hotel.  The tube stop was right across the street from the Tower of London, but I had other plans.  The hotel happily checked me in.  The Grange Tower Bridge Hotel (rm 904.)  Not only was it the cheapest hotel room on the trip, but it was also the nicest.  I unpacked a couple of things, changed my dress, then hailed a cab to Westminster (the tube station there was closed for whatever reason.)


Tube station by the Tower


View from the room


London Taxis are CLEAN


The next day was the Royal Wedding, and London was a MADHOUSE.  Traffic was unreal.  It was so busy in fact, that I ended the ride at Banquet House, as the way was blocked.  I walked the few blocks to Westminster Abbey.  I'd missed it the previous Sunday- but not today.  I waited in line for the bag check, then the line to get in, then the line to get headphones for the self guided tour.


London Wall near the Tube station


Rolling Protest


Waiting in line- that's St. Margaret's Church


What I saw was absolutely amazing.  I am a huge fan of medieval art, and there were a few crypts I wanted to see.  The self-guided tour was fantastic, and I saw everything I wanted to see.  Poets Corner was as amazing as I hoped it would be.  I stood in the presence of Dickens, Chaucer, Tennyson, and Hardy- and none of them complained!

I was awed by the one area no one could walk:  The grave of the Unknown Warrior of World War I.  The British lost 744,000 men in that war, with over 1,600,00 wounded.  (US lost 53,000.)



That area was unusually quiet.  Legend has it that the spirit of a WWI Tommy has been seen there at times.

I spent several hours there, in awe of the art, architecture, and history, and then bought a book at the gift shop there.


Westminster Abbey, West face.  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr is among those honored in effigy


Same face, different angle

From the Abbey, I walked north on Parliament Street, looking for a place I hadn't tried yet for lunch.  Even though I really hate seafood, I decided I'd try Fish and Chips- just to say I tried it.  Besides, as my auld Scots mum always says "Hunger makes good kitchen."   I settled on the Clarence, where I settled into a comfy chair near the back, ordered a pint and the fish & chips.


Sweaty but comfortable


From my seat, I could see down the bar


Fish & Chips, writing book, bag


Well, the coating was wonderful.  The fish was fishy (ick), but the tartar sauce was amazing.  I ate all the chips, dipping them in the tartar.  Ok, so I tried it.

From there, I headed further north, to the comic store Forbidden Planet to pick up some Asimov books for my roomie and bestie, Linda.  On the way back, I called Wife, and while chatting, I went down a wrong street or three.  I ended up at Piccadilly Circus, which was bedecked in flags for the Royal wedding.  I tried using Google maps, but it kept leading me further from my goal.  My back was aching very badly, so I eventually just hailed a cab to take me back to the hotel.


Piccadilly 


I took a nap, soaked in the tub for a bit, showered, threw on my favorite dress, and trowled some makeup on my face.  I had a destination in mind, but first- food.  I stopped at Goodmans Pub near the hotel.  It had no character- shiny and corporate.  I had sausage and mash with a pint of Strongbow Dark fruit.  That was yummy.



Goodman's Pub


They made a beer for the wedding.  Seriously!

From there, I decided to walk.  Again, Google Maps failed me, but this time not as badly, as I had my first destination in sight.  And so I walked across London Bridge- and it DIDN'T fall down.


London Bridge


Sunset from London Bridge


Looking north on London Bridge


HMS Belfast and Tower Bridge, from London Bridge

From there, I walked to the George Inn.  My dear friend Jamie recommended it to me.  The George Inn dates back to at least 1543.  Shakespeare frequented this place, as did Charles Dickens, who mentioned it by name in his book Little Dorritt.  If it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me!

On the way there, a tall Englishman started hitting on me.  He said I had a "very pretty face and breasts to match."  (MY breasts- I still get a thrill from that!)  We walked a bit until I arrived at the George, where we parted ways.  I would've invited him to join me, but something about him set off my "Sophie sense" so I didn't.

The George was PACKED.  There was an outdoor beer garden, four distinct drinking rooms, as well as an upstairs.


At the George Inn


Sign and Ivy


One of Four


Beer Garden

I had a couple of pints there as I wandered the rooms and took a LOT of pictures.


Drawing my beer  (London Pale Ale)


The Sign


Upstairs from the beer garden


The "Middle Room" where Dickens drank.  


Ladies room.  Hmmm...


Sweaty Sophie Selfie in the Charles Ladies Loo


Next to another historical marker

After the pints and pictures. I caught a cab back to the hotel.  After all I had an early morning the next day.  However, I did stop at the hotel bar for a Budweiser.  No, not the American swill- the original Czech beer from which it stole the name.



Then it was off to bed.  The next morning I had to be up at 5:15.

To got to France.


No comments:

Post a Comment