Monday, September 24, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 23: Red Bull Dancing

This entry really makes me look like a total jerk.  Because I was a total jerk.

To this day, I regret what happened that night.  I betrayed the trust of someone I cared about very much.  That night changed the tone of my time at Penn State.

Yes, what happened was consensual, but both of us were too drunk to consent.  I can say with absolute certainty that this night was the most drunk I'd ever been to this point in my short 20 year life.  There would be worse times, but I never felt so much shame after.  Yes, I was looking to "hook up" that night, but not with the person I ended up with.

As a guy of my age and at that time, getting laid was expected and celebrated.  Thrill of the chase.  The Conquest.  Of course, a woman who had the same attitude was a "slut" or "whore."  Of course, if she DIDN'T put out, she was a "tease" or "frigid."  The double standard was very much in effect then as it still is now.

I felt no "triumph" the next day.  I felt horrible.  The fallout is covered next chapter.


Picture of me wearing Drexel jacket.  Letters redacted- Dec 1986

I originally wrote this part a few days after the events occurred.  I wanted to get down what was said and how I felt.  I guessed that it would mean something eventually.  I rewrote it to this current version around 2005.  Back then, my Truth was still deeply buried, and I was in a lot of psychological pain.  I was trying to come to terms with what happened in the perspective of a male.  I never could achieve that- as I never really was male.

Looking back now, over four years after transition, I see that night for what is was- fulfillment of a need.  I needed to feel something.  Anything.  I was desperately lonely, and I knew that the person who I wanted to be with was unavailable.  I knew that the person I needed to BE would never surface, and I did my best to anesthetize the Pain with booze and whatever else.

I just wish that in trying to assuage my own Pain, I didn't inflict so much on others.


*********************************************************************


Chap 23: Red Bull Dancing

Saturday, Nov 8, 1986 President won’t deny Iran dealing

So I finally talked a girl from home into coming up.  Cheryl and I kinda sorta dated when we were in junior high.  We met at a dance in seventh grade, and we went to all the dances together and talk and stuff.  Never kissed her- I was too scared.  She was cute, thin as a rail, with angelic blue eyes, narrow nose and long straight brown hair at a time when the “Farrah Fawcett blow-dried-to-death” look was in. And her smile.  Oh her smile could light up a dark room.  We hung out until early in our sophomore year, when I said something reeeeeeally stupid and she stopped speaking to me.
We started speaking again at the beginning of our senior year, by which time she had grown up a lot.  Still the same eyes, still thin, but an incredible ass that she liked to show off and her face glowed.  She also told me about how much she loved sex.  We almost dated and I almost kissed her, but it didn’t work out.  She started dating some other guy, and a few months and another heartbreak later, I started with Julianne.
Anyway, she was going to Millersville, and agreed to come up to Penn State for a weekend of “partying, fun, and surprises.”  Of course, my plan was to fuck her brains out, and she HAD to know.  Or maybe she thought that I was too lame to try anything.  Well, I’d show her!
Red Bull bottle
The highlight of the weekend was Crow House’s “Red Bull” party.  Red Bull was a more potent form of Schlitz Malt Liquor, with a red bull on the label instead of the usual blue one- and malt liquor was a lot stronger than beer to begin with.  This was going to be fucked up.  Crow’s party was brothers, little sisters and invited guests.  I was invited by Judy and Virginia.  And I was bringing Cheryl.  Judy didn’t mind, as her big brother Michael would be up for the weekend, and having Cheryl there helped keep the illusion.  And besides, she knew me better than I did.  She knew nothing would happen.
Cheryl arrived Friday night, and I made her dinner: steak and green beans and powdered mashed potatoes.  After dinner, she put on a white top with short sleeves, a denim mini skirt that showcased her ass, and fuck me pumps. 
The House was having a party, so we headed over.  She was flirtatious and fun and some of the brothers even nodded in approval.  She stayed within eyesight in case she needed an assist, and occasionally came over to chat, show herself off, and make the brothers believe that I was with her. 
“So you think there was shit sent to Iran and Reagan is lying or what?”  Ben asked.
“Of course he’s lying- what else is new?”  I answered, finishing my beer.  “Need one?  I’m going downstairs.”
“Hey!  You fuck with Ronnie and he’ll fuck you up!”  Ben then made machine gun noises as he sprayed the room with his invisible Uzi.  “Yeah, while you’re there.  Thanks!”
Mark hit on Cheryl really hard and Cheryl “accidentally” spilled her beer all over him.  We left together around 2 and went back to my apartment.  Nothing happened, despite (because of?) my clumsy hints.  She slept on the couch alone.
The next morning dawned cool, bright and clear.  The leaves blew from the trees nudged by the slight breeze.  Rich (roomie) let me use his football ticket for Cheryl, as he needed the ten bucks and he wanted Cheryl even more than I.  He drooled every time he saw her.  We joined several brothers at an alumni’s tailgate in the sloping grass parking lot south of the stadium and had a few beers before heading in.  We sat high up in the sophomore section and watched the #2 ranked Nittany Lions struggle, claw, and finally beat Maryland 17-15.  What a game!  Cheryl even hugged me a few times when the Lions did something great.


The rest of the day passed quickly as I showed Cheryl around campus then went to Hi Way pizza for some slices.  Took a quick nap too because we both knew it was gonna be a long night.  She slept in Mark’s bed, because he was back home visiting his girlfriend.  I don’t know where Rich was.  
After showers and a quick snack, we walked up Beaver Ave toward the Bone.  She wore a light blue oxford and tight jeans.  I wore jeans and my favorite white polo shirt with a small fraternity crest.
“There might be some beer there to start us out.  Besides, I don’t want to get there too early.  Y’know, seem too eager.”
“Eager for who?”
“No one, really.  But it wouldn’t look good for a Skull to show up THAT early.”
“Your brothers are really full of themselves.”
“They’re used to getting what they want when they want it.”
She smiled at me.  “Aww diddums not get to scwew Wance’s fwiend wast night?” she said in a baby voice.
We walked up the steps and pushed open the door, and found a writhing pile of people right in the middle of the foyer.
“Get him!”
Keemo did a running jump and landed spread eagle on top of the pile.  “Dog pile on the rabbit!”
Cheryl and I laughed as the groans came from the bottom of the pile.  Soon they all unpiled themselves and there, on the bottom, was Dairy holding a football.  "Smear the queer"- Skull style.  He laid on his back for a moment, looked over at me, and tossed the ball right at me.  Instinctively, I caught it and then heard “Get him!”  SHIT!  I ran out the door with a wave of brothers chasing me.  Right- down the porch.  Left- jump the hedge into the yard THWAK!  Beef tackled me hard onto my face with the ball in my stomach and then I felt the brothers piling on.  Ouch!  I couldn’t breathe.  After a while, I felt the load lighten and Beef helped me up.  I was covered in dirt and sweat. 
“You ok?” he asked, helping to dust me off.  The other brothers were laughing and high fiving. 
I smiled weakly and nodded.  Then shoved the ball into his hands.
Fraternity front lawn, Sept 2018
“Shit!”  he shouted and bowled over two brothers trying to grab him.  “Get him!”  He made it another ten steps before the mass of testosterone laden burdens pulled him down.  My legs wobbled as I headed back to the front door and into the foyer.  There was Cheryl with two plastic cups of beer, one of which she handed me.
“At least they include you in the fun!  You look like shit.”  She smiled.  I wanted her so bad.
I smiled.  “I’m sure.”  Took a big swig of flat beer.  Ugh.  Last night’s keg.
From outside I heard “Get him!  Get him!” and another mass piling.  Then “owwww”.  The sound died pitifully.
“So, let’s have a few beers, then we’ll go back to my place, fuck like crazed weasels, I’ll get a shower and we’ll go to the party.”
She laughed a knowing laugh with just a hint of scorn.  “Yeah right.”
“Can’t blame a guy for trying.”  I led her inside.  A couple of little sisters stared as I walked by.
Two beers, no sex, a shower, and a change of clothes later, we walked up Locust Lane toward Crow house.  It was nearly 11:30.
We entered the door and there were a couple of pledges who took their time finding my name on the list as one of them sized up Cheryl.  Big guy, Italian, with a thick black crew cut, dark eyes and a big superhero-esque chin.  She loved the attention, and did everything but pose for him.  Her name wasn’t on the list, but no house ever turned girls away.
People were in knots carrying on conversations as Meatloaf blasted from their dance floor off to the right.
“Will you love me?  Will you love me forever?  Will you need me?  Will you never leave me?”
I led Cheryl through the maze of people to the stairs down to the basement.  A quick left into their wood walled party room, and another left to the bar.  Virginia was there behind the bar, playing flip a cup with maybe ten others.  She waved to me.
“Lancer!  It’s about fucking time!”  She was wearing a tight shiny grey button down top that showed off her tits, and tight jeans.  In seconds I had two beers, handed one to Cheryl, who smiled and mixed into the crowd.  I bellied up to the bar across from Virginia.  She was looking very cute tonight.  There were two cups working, and Virginia had one.  She flipped and it landed straight up.  She pointed her elbow at me.  “Down it, dear.”  She smiled with a touch of hate.
“Thanks.”
She did sign language for you’re welcome.  The beer was heavier.

Crow party room and bar. 2008  The tables weren't there, and a bench ran the length of the wall to the right

Now what you have to realize is that as much as college kids talk the talk, very few can really hang when they drink the harder stuff.  And that’s what this Red Bull shit was.  It had a hard flavor, kinda nutty.  It was copper colored- heavier.  Like it was telling you “don’t fuck with me ‘cause I WILL fuck you up.”  And it was.  This early, and many Crows and women were speaking in that slurred language exclusive to those about to puke and/or pass out.  On one of the benches lining the walls I saw some guy making out with some chick, feeling her up.  The speakers pulsed.  Can’t you hear me knocking…on yo’ window-oh!”  People shouting get a room.  Cheryl sitting near the back talking to that pledge from the door.
I chugged the beer and Virginia refilled it.  One of the cups passed to me, and I flipped.  Face down.  Pointed an elbow at Virginia.  She smiled, raised the clear plastic cup, and drank.
“Rules?”  I asked.
“Usual.  No d-d-d, no names, no pointing.  Five hits makes rules” Virginia said as I flipped and missed.  Flipped again.  Missed.  Drank and passed it to Virginia.
So it went for a while.  Went to the dance floor.  Springsteen “Devil with a Blue dress blue dress blue dress devil with a blue dress on!”  I danced badly with maybe fifteen others in the small room that was the dance floor.  I froze.
Judy danced with some guy nearby.  She was wearing jeans and her hooded maroon letter sweatshirt.  She saw me, stopped briefly, and smiled.  Tapped the guy on the shoulder, pointed at me, then motioned me off the floor.  I staggered off, following them.
“Lance, this is my brother Michael.  Michael, this is Lance.”
He was a little shorter than me.  Maybe 30.  Black hair, parted right, with olive skin and Judy’s eyes, but older, wiser.  He smiled and pumped my hand with a firm grip.  “Nice to finally meet you!  I’ve heard so much about you!”
I smiled.  “Pleasure’s mine!”
“I heard you’ve been keeping an eye on my sister.”
“She’s very special.”
He smiled and looked down at her, her arm around his waist.  “Yes.  Yes, she is.”
“Enjoying the party?”
“Absolutely.  Are you?”
“Ab. Ab.”  Shook my head.  “Absolutely.”
Smiled wider.  “I can tell.”
Judy touched my arm.  “Are you going to help Virginia home?”
“If she needs me to.  My friend is up.”
She turned to Michael.  “Lance is entertaining an old flame this weekend.”  Then she turned back for a quick icy stare.
Michael nodded.  “She’s a lucky girl.  Excuse me.  Judy, where’s the men’s room?”
She gave him directions and he headed off, leaving the two of us standing there next to the dance floor.
Take my breath a-wayyyyyy” the speakers crooned.
Judy shifted her feet.  “So.”
“So.”
“How’s it going?”
I swallowed a burp.  “I think she’s getting laid tonight.”
Her face paled and she looked off to the right.  “Oh.”
“Not by me.  She seems to want one of your pledges.”
She looked at me and smiled.  “Why do I even listen to you?”
“Cuz you love me.”
She laughed.  “I already have a boyfriend.”  Her eyes flashed and she smiled wider.  I got hard.  Smiled back.  Her brother came over.
“Want me to introduce you to Cheryl?  I asked.
Judy looked up at Michael.  “Sure!”
I led them back down to their party room.  Cheryl was right where I left her talking to the pledge.  Virginia glared at me from behind the bar and returned talking to the guy next to her.  Ran her fingers through his hair.
“Cheryl, this is Judy and her brother Michael.”
She stood.  “So pleased to meet you!  Lance has told me so much about you!”  Smile.  Heaven.
The pledge also stood in the presence of letters.  “Beers?”
Judy looked inquisitively at us all.  I gave a thumbs up.  Michael nodded.  Judy held up two fingers.  The pledge threw a knowing glance at Cheryl, who smiled back, and he was gone.
“Lance tells me you go to Millersville.”
“Yes.  It’s great.  Nothing like this though.”
“What are you majoring in?” Michael asked.
I looked over at Virginia, who looked back.
“Brown shug-ah!  How com you taste so good?” blasted from the speakers behind the bar.
A touch to my elbow.  “I leaned over and Judy spoke to my ear.  “We’re going to go.  Have fun!”  Her lips lightly grazed my earlobe and she was gone.  The pledge came back with the beer.  And Cheryl left the party room with him.  So I was standing there alone holding two amber beers.  Looked to my left at Virginia.  Flipping a cup.  Walked over to the bar.  She handed a cup to me.  I flipped and it landed face down.  I elbowed down the bar at Snake, who drank.  New rules:  no cursing, must tap you cup on the bar before drinking, if both cups meet- the person who has them both chugs.
People were passed out on the benches.  One guy was on the floor in the beer swill.
Maybe an hour, maybe a year later, I staggered upstairs.  Virginia slapped the guy she was talking to when he “accidentally” grazed her left breast while turning to flip on his turn. 
People were passed out all over the floor and on the furniture.  It almost looked like a mass murder.  Red Bull.  Those still up were speaking in slurred tones that no one could really understand.  I was among those blithering idiots.  I found Virginia upstairs, putting on her coat.
“Need a walk home?”
“No.”
“Really?”
“What about your friend?
“Shhhhhe’s busy.  Can take care of herself.”
“Isn’t it out of your way?”
I glared at her.  “Let’s go.”
The night was very chilly and a misty rain made it almost dreamlike.  We staggered down Fairmount, supporting each other, crossed Andrethestea, and down East Prospect.  Walked between KDR and Pika.  Pika was having a party, and we could hear the music clearly as we walked past on the cracked sidewalk.  Slow song. 
Former site of Andrethestea
“You know I love you but I’m in too deep”
I stopped and turned to Virginia.  We joined hands and started swaying to the music together.  Slowly.  I looked into her eyes.  She looked back.  A mixture of pain and something else.  So fragile.  We kissed lightly.  Then heavier.
Deeper.  I held her closer and she put her hands behind my head.  I caressed her back.  She held my head as if to let go would mean falling into hell itself.  Our tongues danced as well.  A tentative hand to her breast.  Her nipples hard against the cold.  A caress.  Her hands to my ass as she pulled me closer and felt how hard I was.  We groped each other and my one hand unbuttoned her top to expose her right breast.  She looked down, then in my eyes with acceptance and understanding, head cocked to the side as she swayed.  I caressed her more and re-buttoned her shirt.  We turned and walked down the street toward her apartment.  Stop.  Kiss more.  Then walk.  Kiss more.  Deeper.  Hungrier.
Her front door.  I pinned her to the wall and we groped each other, kissing savagely.  She put her fingers to her lips to quiet me, and turned the key in the lock.  Quietly we shuffled into the darkened apartment.  She led me straight into the kitchen.  We kissed and groped and explored.  I unbuttoned her top.  She pulled off my shirt.  My mouth on her breast.  Hers on my neck.  My pants at my ankles.  Her jeans off.  She sat on the counter.  I entered her.  We grunted quietly.  Hit the dish rack and a clank.  Freeze.  Down to the floor.  Entered her again.  We fucked quietly as our tongues explored.  I pumped hard trying to overcome the beer.  Eventually I did.  Virginia arched her hips to take it all in.  We lay quietly on the cold kitchen linoleum.  Virginia motioned me off, stood up and naked left the room for the bathroom, right past a sleeping Michael on the couch.  I started to put myself back together.  The floor felt cool- soooo nice.  She came back.  Kissed me more.  We writhed together.  Soon I entered her again.  But the beer caught up.  It was not to be.  I rolled off and sighed.  She kissed my chest, stood and left the room.  I got dressed.  She met me at the door and looked up into my eyes.  So much pain.  A last gentle kiss.  I smiled drunkly and quietly slipped out the door.  Back to Beaver Hill.  Bed.  Spins.  Bathroom.  Puke.  Bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment