Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Sophie's Berfday Costume Jawn

On Saturday, September 15, 2018, a gathering occured at the Great American Pub, in Phoenixville, PA starting at 7 pm.  It was a "berfday" party for me.  I ought to know- I planned it, and I was there.



There were many quadrilaterals.

Why did I plan my own berfday party?  Several reasons, actually.  First is that I wanted a party, and I figured no one was going to hold one for me.  Second, I needed something.  After New Orleans, I had nothing to look forward to.  I had nothing planned.  Knowing that the worst time of year for me was coming, I decided that planning a party (which I really enjoy doing) was just the thing.  Finally, I'd been bouncing the idea of a costume party with a few friends.  So I threw all the ideas together, and that became the "jawn."  So I put up a facialbook event, invited people within a certain radius, and waited.

Oh, "jawn" is Philly slang.

In any case, I had a couple of different costumes I'd picked up over time that I'd never worn out.  Both were superheroes: Supergirl and Captain Marvel (Marvel version.). They were both from a website that specializes in cosplay.


First Captain Marvel costume test.  No corset or bra


I was going to wear the Captain Marvel one.  A week before the party, I decided to try on the costume again, this time with a corset and bra (when I tried them on before, I wasn't wearing either.). So, first the corset- my roomie and bestie Linda pulled it tight.  Bra: on.  Hose: on.  Ok, costume time.  It zipped up in the back, so Linda helped me and... the zipper broke.  Bleep.  Broke as in "will need professional help."


Supergirl costume test with corset and bra

Ok, so to the next option.  This was a Supergirl costume based on her original appearance in 1958, and also the one in the 1984 movie.  However, the blue is darker- similar to the "Lois and Clark" Superman of the 1990s.  Also, the "S" shield is large, like Alex Ross' interpretation of the Superman logo.

Confused yet?  Did I overgeek you?



In any case, there were no costume issues.  I had red flats to go with the costume, and pulled my old blonde "Monique" wig out of storage.  I sent that up to Amanda Richards at True Colors Makeup Artistry to get some love, as it hadn't been out of a box in years.

On Saturday morning, Linda and I drove up to Bethlehem to visit Amanda's studio.  We sat and chatted for a while.  It's always great to see her.  She'd fluffed out the wig to make it "like you'd just landed from flying."

After driving home, I took a short nap- I knew I'd be up late that night.  Then, I took my time with my makeup.  I went for the "Girl next door" look.  Linda helped me into my costume.  She pulled the corset a little tighter than I'm used to, which was literally breath taking.  Eventually, I pulled on the wig, and the transformation from me to Kryptonian bombshell was complete.



Super Sophie Selfie


Still unpacking, so pardon the boxes

I used Lyft to go the mile and a half to the Great American Pub, as I knew I'd be drinking, and didn't want to drive.  Linda would follow later, after she did her own makeup.  The Lyft driver took my appearance in stride.  When we arrived in downtown Phoenixville, which was very crowded, I received many interesting looks.

We were in a side room off the bar called the Bicycle Room.  It had one side open to the old parking lot, where many booths were set up, and where a band was playing.  When I arrived, a couple of people were there already. 

One was a woman I know as Mad Kitty, or MK.  She is one of my oldest Second Life friends who is a constant source of laughs when I see her there.  She is also a brilliant "avatar" creator, and some of her "costumes" in SL are the work of genius.  What made this special was that I'd never met her in real life.  She came down from New York state to be there.  When I met her, it was like we'd been friends in "RL" forever.


One of MK's Avatar creations.  I forget what the theme of that party was.


MK hanging 10



Also there was Myla.  Myla was a couple of grades below me in high school, but I really knew her from my job at Burger King.  I hadn't seen her since 1984, but she has been one of my staunchest supporters since my transition.  She remarked that she couldn't believe how tall i was- the last time she saw me, I was 5'6."


With Myla

My "Big Sister" Mel was also there, but not in costume.  I don't see her as much as I'd like anymore.  We spoke for a while about "that time of year" when the anniversaries of many bad events in my life are lined up one after the other.  As I wrote above, the party was a way for me to counter the depression that always hit me in September.

More people arrived.  Katie and Debbie brought a MASSIVE cake.  (Oh and some guy named Sam was with them.)  ;)   Mr. and Mrs. Beetlejuice arrived.  The Queen of Hearts.  A Waste of Space.  A gnome.  Zombie Delia.  Several of my trans friends came before going to Angela's Laptop Lounge, which was also that night (oops- sorry Angela!).  Wonder Woman made an appearance as well.  So did a Mardi Gras woman.  Medieval peeps.  A witch or three.


BIG cake


Orf with her 'ed!


No beads?


Gnome and Waste of Space


Zombie, Doll, Wood Spirit


Little Orphan Annie


Wonder Woman (Deb, Sam, Selma in background)

All of this was quite amusing to the patrons outside, who took many pictures.  Some stumbled into the room to make comments (the first guy I spoke to misgendered me within thirty seconds of my arrival: "Get a picture of me with this guy!")

I had a wonderful time, and I think the guests did as well.  They sang to me, and somehow, even with my corset on, I managed to blow out all the candles.  My dear friend Kira made a speech and gifted me with items she said I desperately needed.


With Kira


Items I need?


One person was missing: my roomie and bestie, Linda.  She couldn't find a place to park (Phoenixville SUCKS for parking,) got frustrated, and went home.  She then took off her makeup and waited for me to call, as she was my ride home.  There is more to this story, but I'll leave it there.

In any case, as with all parties, this one began winding down.  Many party goers went to another room to dance (there was a dj) but I was very tired, and the last shot I took (I forget what it was called) wasn't sitting right.  Besides, I was in a corset.  Ouch.  So I called Linda, who came and got me. 

I'm guessing everyone else danced the night away.


With Minnie Mouse near the end of the night (the wig HAD to go!)

We had ONE server the whole night- Jen- and she was absolutely amazing.  Everyone got what they ordered very quickly, and with no mistakes.  I saw her a few days later, and asked if she was "taken care of."  She smiled and said that everyone was VERY generous.

Speaking of generosity, on the invite, I stated that one did not have to bring a gift, but if they did, to make it cash.  The room cost me $200 in advance.  My friends gave me many cards, some hand made, and enough money to cover my bar bill as well as the room cost, and more.  I am beyond thankful to their generosity, yet I am more thankful that they came to the party.


Multiple Minnies and Maleficent Mouse

I had 21 RSVPs.  I figured maybe ten people would actually show up.  THIRTY TWO people came.  I did my best to keep from crying while there, and the next day I was smiling because the love I felt from so many people...  well, Thank you.  From the bottom of my withered heart. 

I don't deserve friends like you. 

Nor readers like you!

Thank you all. 

Be well!






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful party! Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

    And, of course, you do deserve all of your friends (and all of us highly attractive readers, as well ;)).

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it was a great evening for you! So well deserved!

    ReplyDelete