Friday, September 21, 2018

Speech for Day of Peace

On September 21, 2018, I spoke at the International Day of Peace rally in West Chester, PA.  The event was held on the steps of the Historic Chester County Courthouse on High Street.  My roomie and bestie Linda was on hand to record was speech.

I appeared in the middle of the bill, just as night was falling.  There's already been one disruption from a Trump supporter, and nearby high school kids were making a lot of noise.  Didn't matter. 

What follows is my speaking copy of the speech.

************************************************************************



Speaking tonight

Today, we gather to mark the Day of Peace, and celebrate the Universal Declaration of Human rights.
Article 2 is “Freedom from discrimination.”  It reads, in part:
Everyone can claim their rights regardless of sex, race, language, religion, social standing, etc.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.
One of the definitions of Peace is freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility.
Another is freedom from or the cessation of war or violence.
Are we, as Americans truly at Peace?  Our soldiers have been in harm’s way constantly for 17 years.  In fact, history shows our country has been at war for 223 out of the last 240 years.  Unarmed citizens are being gunned down by some police because of their skin color- giving the many GOOD officers a bad name.  And the news today is that another 1000 Latino immigrant CHILDREN have simply vanished from federal custody and thousands more are still in cages, separated from their parents- in defiance of the law. 
I am a transgender woman.  In this commonwealth, I can be fired for that.  I can be denied housing, medical care, and employment.  I’ve been unemployed since February, despite holding a master’s degree and years of experience. 
In some states, I cannot go to a PUBLIC RESTROOM in peace!  Because I’m transgender, right wingers want you to fear me.  Never mind that there has never been a single instance of a transgender woman attacking someone in a restroom.
If I’m in a stall in the ladies room, and you’re peeking in to see what genitals I have, then I am not the pervert.
If a person can’t even go to the bathroom in peace, than there’s a problem.  
Peace.  What is Peace?
In truth, I don’t know. 
I don’t know.
Dr. King once said “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
On this day of Peace, let us pledge to each other, in the sight of God, NOT TO BE SILENT.  Not to allow others suffer while we stand by, afraid to act.  Let us reaffirm that the forces of HATE CANNOT WIN, WILL NOT WIN, because there are still people who believe that we are ALL created EQUAL, and because we believe that we ALL have the inalienable right to LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!

Thank you!

If you want to see me deliver this speech, the youtube video is HERE.


1 comment:

  1. Powerful speech, Sophie. Thank you for sharing it!

    Hugs,
    Cass

    P.S. Hope you're well. :c)

    ReplyDelete