Friday, September 14, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 20-22: Three linked chapters

These three chapters are short and related, so I figured I'd post them together.  I can say without exaggeration that this was one of the best times of my life.  When I think back to good times at Penn State, this period is the time I think about the most.

So obviously, they couldn't last right?

I remember writing these chapters and being very sad.


***********************************************************************


Chapter 20: Early wake up

Wednesday, October 29, 1986 Contra supplier Hasenfus paid by a firm in Lancaster County.

Her lips were soft on my neck as she ran her nails down my back.  I felt her naked breasts against my chest as she breathed heavily.  She stopped kissing my neck and looked up at me, her beautiful grey green eyes unlocking everything.  Demanding all of me.  We kissed as her fingers unbuttoned my jeans, then she pulled them down with her foot.
I pulled down her dark blue panties and guided her to her back on the couch.  Her black hair formed a halo around her pale white face.  She didn’t smile- this was serious.
We kissed deeply as I caressed her silky skin, licked and gently nibbled her beautiful breasts.  Ran my tongue from her left nipple to her navel.  My fingers gently probed her and she moaned.  Her back arched and she closed her eyes.
“Oh Lance…”
I don’t know how or when my underwear disappeared, but her hand caressed my equipment.  She spread her legs wider and whispered.
“Make love to me.”
I withdrew my hand and Judy guided me into her…

I woke up.

The same dream again.  This wasn’t good.  “I think I may be falling too hard fro a girl I can’t have” I thought. 
Fucking four o’clock in the morning.  I turned over and tried to go back to sleep.  Maybe I could pick up that dream where we left off.


Collegian, Oct 29, 1986



 Chapter 21: Sunshine

Tuesday, November 4, 1986 Scarfo, 17 Others Are Charged in Sweeping Mob Indictments

            Class ended, so I walked down the hall and out of the bottom floor of Willard building into the bright late afternoon.  Sunny days were becoming a rarity as autumn shriveled into winter.  Heavy gray and white clouds normally coated the sky.  It’s amazing how a cloud covering and bare trees can make the world as gray and heavy as the sky above. 
            But not today!
            I looked to my left.  There at the top of the short stairway to the mall was a smile bundled up against the chilly wind.  Judy gave me a quick wave.  I smiled and hopped up the steps to her.
            “Hey babe, come here often?”  I asked.
            “All the time!” she said, smiling.  “Are you always so cheesy?” 
            “All the time!”  I said.
            We headed past the front of Old Main.  Judy’s next class was in the H&HD East building, which was next to the Hub lawn.  I wasn’t a long walk, but we’d been walking it together every Tuesday and Thursday for a couple of weeks.  It gave us an opportunity to see each other.  I really looked forward to it.
            We quickly arrived at her building.  I looked into her eyes as the wind tossed her black hair carelessly.  She smiled, then hugged me.
            “Are you coming over tonight?” she asked.
            “I don’t know.  I might have better things to do” I replied, trying to look snobby.
            She hugged me harder.  “Why don’t I believe you?”
            “You’re no fun!”  I said.
            “I’m lots of fun!” she said smiling mischievously.
            She gave me a soft lingering kiss then turned to head into the building.  I watched her for a moment, then turned and headed uphill toward my next class, walking through the fall late afternoon sunlight.

Collegian, Nov 4, 1986


Chapter 22: Second Tree

Wednesday, November 5, 1986 Casey and Specter Are Winners; Democrats Capture U.S. Senate

            She forgot the brandy, so we had to go back.  Judy and Virginia came over to watch movies and drink with my roommates and me.  Judy forgot her blackberry brandy so I volunteered to walk her back.  No wait- it doesn’t start there.
           
            “How about you guys come over to my place for a change?  We could watch a movie- I have a VCR” I said to the phone.  (Not everyone had VCRs then.) 
            “Let me ask Virginia” Judy said. 
            Muffled silence.
            “Ok.  If you let us make dinner.”
            “How could I turn down dinner with two beautiful women? Will you be naked?”
            “Maybe” Judy said, and then laughed.  I heard her tell Virginia “he wants to know if we’ll be naked.”  I heard Virginia answer “In his dreams!”
            We made arrangements.  Dinner at their place.  Then we’d all walk back to my place to watch whatever Mark and Rich picked out at Mike’s Video.  Those two already had dinner plans. 

            So the three of us had dinner and headed back into the misty rain toward my place.  We made it half way up the hill when Virginia stopped.
            “What’s wrong?”  I asked.
            “I forgot we’ll be out past nine o’clock,” she said.  Judy and Virginia always took their birth control pills at nine.
            “Do you want us to walk back with you?  Or perhaps wait here?” Judy asked.
            “Could you wait here?”  Virginia said.
            “Sure!”  I said.
            So Judy and I stood by a newly planted tree along the street, second one from the base of the hill, and watched from under Judy’s umbrella as Virginia walked back down to the apartment through the mist and rain.
            When we were sure she couldn’t see, Judy and I started kissing hungrily.  We ground our hips together.  I wanted her so much!
            “Do you think the tree will tell on us?”  Judy asked, smiling.
            “Nah.  Second tree is cool.  It won’t rat us out.”
            We kissed a little more than stopped.  Virginia would be coming back soon.  And she did.  Judy was smiling broadly.
            “What did I miss?”  Virginia asked.
            “Nothing.  Just some of Lance’s bad jokes” Judy said.
            “Hey!  They weren’t ALL bad!”  I said.

Second Tree, July 1988.  It is still there, but now over 30 ft tall.

            We walked the rest of the way to Beaver Hill talking about classes and the football team.  Could we really go undefeated?  Wouldn’t that be cool?  We made it to my apartment and were settling in to watch “Top Gun” when Judy suddenly remembered.
            “Oh my God!  I forgot my bottle of blackberry brandy!”
            “Does it matter?”  Virginia asked.
            “We have plenty of beer,” Rich said.  They bought two cases of Bud.
            “You don’t want shots?”  Judy asked.
            “I’ll walk you back if these guys don’t mind waiting to start the movie,” I said.

            So Judy and I walked back through the cold mist and rain to Sutton Court.  Of course we stopped a couple of times along the way to kiss and fondle.  At one point when we stopped she asked again “What about Richard?”
            So I gave her the same answer: “Nothing has really happened yet.  Just innocent fun between a guy and a girl.”
            We entered her apartment and I pinned her to the wall- kissing, feeling, wanting.  After a bit, she led me to the bedroom, where we lay on the bed as I undid the buttons of her pale blue and white striped oxford. 
            Her bra had a clasp in front.  I’d never seen that before, but I figured it out fast enough.  Judy’s skin was soft and her breasts firm as I kissed them for the first time.  She moaned quietly.  I sat up to look at her, smiling, laying on the bed, her shirt wide open, her beautiful breasts waiting- waiting for me to make the next logical move.
            “So is this still innocent fun?” she whispered.
            Guilt!  Guilt, guilt, guilt, guilt, guilt!  I didn’t want to be the other guy.  I wanted her so badly but I wanted her to be mine and mine alone. 
            I leaned over to kiss her some more.
            She nibbled on my next for a moment then said “They’re going to wonder where we are.”
            Um, I could call them?”  I said.  So I did.
            “Judy got a call from her brother.  We’re on our way now” I told Rich over the phone.  I didn’t think he would mind being stuck entertaining with a single girl with big tits.
            Judy and I made out for another ten minutes, and then headed back out into the rain.
            “I WILL fuck her,” I thought.  “It’s only a matter of time.”
            I don’t know what Judy was thinking.
            On our way back up the hill, I stopped her.
            “What?” she asked, smiling. 
            I pointed at the young tree we stood next to.  “Second tree up the hill.  We stopped here earlier while we waited for Virginia.  Why not stop again?"  


Second Tree:  Sept. 20, 2018

            We kissed again.
            After a few more stops, we arrived at my apartment where we all drank and watched the movie.
            “Highway to the Danger Zone!  Gonna take you…  Right into the Danger Zone!”
            I sat on the floor in front of the couch.  Judy sat next to Virginia on the loveseat maybe five miles away.  Or so it seemed.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Sophie,

    So where was I? Ah yes, telling you I'm enjoying your story on a number of levels. The nostalgia is really strong since, as I mentioned, I was starting at Penn State at the same time your story takes place. I even remember the Collegian headlines, football cartoons, and fast food ads. I remember falling hard for a woman named Judy, but that wasn't until '87. I lived in Beaver Hill in '88--first floor, first terrace on the right as you walked up the driveway.

    Anyway, I'm amazed at your memory. I remember lots of little things but the detail you put into your posts is pretty impressive. I wonder if writing this stuff is cathartic for you. Several times, you've started a post by apologizing in some way for your behavior. Perhaps if these posts ever form a book, you can preface everything with a disclaimer.

    Earlier, I mentioned that you have two different stories going on. I understand that they're kind of intertwined but so far, it's hard to see where you're going with it. Overall, what's the point of Men of the Skull? Is it just a memoir? A statement about the fraternity system as a whole? Skull in particular? Does any of it have anything to do with any inner turmoil you may have had?

    Don't stop writing and don't edit yourself. It sounds like you have a fascinating story to tell. And it's a complete story in your mind. I don't want to read beyond chapter 30 until I read all the 20s posts. So I'll be patient and wait to find out what happens next in your saga.

    ReplyDelete