Tuesday, September 13, 2022

56, Nine, and Forever

As I type this line, it's Monday September 12, 2022.  That means yesterday was the 21st anniversary of the terrorist attacks, and that tomorrow is the anniversary of my birth.  Don't ask me which I think was the bigger disaster.


I've written many times about my opinion of September- I dread it like normal people dread getting a root canal.  Inevitably, the calendar turns, and the month begins though, as time doesn't stop no matter what we try.  So here we are.  


August 2012

All that said, I wrote this letter last night:


Dearest Lisa,

Another year, another anniversary, another slew of letters you'll never see.  I wrote you almost daily in the spring as I tried to sort things out in my broken head.  Not so much lately, as a dull fog descended on me a month or so back, obscuring thought, emotion, and life.  


Ever since I passed my comps, I feel like I've been going in slow motion.  I wonder if you ever felt that way.  You always seemed so in control and way ahead of everything.  You certainly had me fooled- or did you?  After all, your plans and behavior before the execution of those plans fooled everyone.


I can't believe that you left us nine years ago.  Nine fucking years.  In many ways, it still seems like yesterday, but the world has changed so much since you died.  I wonder what you'd think of it.  I wonder how many people still remember you, your smile, and how special you made them feel.  


In any case, another year goes by without you- another year closer to our eventual reunion.  Save me a seat.


I will always love and miss you, Lisa


Yours,


Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment