Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Forum

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I was in a play: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, which ran weekends from June 7-30.  Despite all the changes and chapters in my life, I am horrible with endings. I hate them.

So many shared experiences, too many to write about- Over.

As I wrote, I played a courtesan named Tintinnabula.  I had no lines, but I had a solo dance.  A choreographer created a simple routine for me to learn, which I did, eventually.  I also ended up improvising a bit as well.  By the end, I was very comfortable with that dance.  I also made some faces and mouthed some things, some of which got laughs.  Occasionally, just my entrance, as in just appearing for my dance, caused laughter.  I guess those people saw "guy dressed as a woman dancing."  My costume was the only one that was showed cleavage, so...  Well, I was often misgendered while wearing low cut dresses when I worked at the book store, as well.  I guess breasts and cleavage aren't enough of a feminine indicator.

But that's ok.  The play was a comedy, and they were laughing, so it was a win.


The Cast

I took many pictures during the run, most of which are just for my cast-mates.  There's only one picture of me dancing (that I know of) taken during rehearsals, and it isn't flattering, so...

The play was a LOT of fun.  It was full of puns and physical humor, and the people were so much fun.  I really enjoyed my time with them.  I felt like I was part of something.  The play gave me a reason to get out of bed.  Something to look forward to doing.  We had three rehearsals a week, then a whole week of rehearsal called tech week.  Then- only the shows.  After seeing those people three times a week, it was strange not to see them until weekends.

I only knew a few of the cast when we began.  I knew one from Dracula, another from my political work, and another from 12 Angry Women.  They certainly didn't know me.  As with any group of people new to my life, I remained sort of quiet at first- listening.  Gauging.  Eventually, we would start going to karaoke together, or small gatherings.

Through the months, I opened up a bit.  I learned a lot about some of my cast mates (and not so much about others) while they learned a bit about me- well, as much as I let them.  I tended to hang out with my fellow courtesans.  I don't make friends easily- never have.  (People who've read more than a couple entries of this blog can figure that out.)  But I became close to a few of the cast.


Courtesans and "Lycus"

Let me tell you about a few of them.  No names though, as I didn't get their permissions.

-One of my cast mates is a writer.  She did a semester at Juilliard, as well as over at University of Glasgow.  She married an Englishman.  So... she attended a school in Scotland, yet married an Englishman?  (You Scottish people will get that reference.)  She was so beautiful, genuine and fun!

-Another has a masters in Social work.  She is from the Lehigh Valley, and relocated down my way.  Circumstances changed for her, yet she still stayed around.  She is gorgeous, a veteran of many shows, and sings like an angel.  We hung out a few times, and we talked about each other's lives.  She struck me as the "popular girl in school" but smart and nice.

-A third has been on stage- singing, acting, and dancing- since she was very young.  She's forgotten more about singing than I'll ever know.  Oh, and she is a Neurobiologist.  She knew that performing arts statistically wouldn't pay off, so she studied something that interested her.  She was stunning and moved so gracefully.

There were so many more great people: the award winning actress; the new dad (whose kid is about to start crawling- and any parent will tell you that's when sh*t gets real!); the music and dance major at West Chester University; a mother of four; and the city councilman.


In costume- makeup and hair stage ready

I wondered how the hell I was cast as a belly dancer- had to be a joke on me, given my weight.  At the first rehearsal after read through, the director wanted all "female and female identifying people" on one side of the room, and all men on the other.  I don't know if she caught my glare, but it made me feel VERY uncomfortable.  She never said it again, though.

As our show began, auditions and rehearsals for the next big show were held.  Most of the cast of Forum landed roles in the next production.  My cousin Lynsey from Scotland was visiting, and I was invited out to a local bar, as that's where some of my cast mates were at the time.  Turns out, they were celebrating after the first read through of the next play with people from that play.  A play for which I didn't audition as it is in September, and I will be gone.  I felt like an intruder and didn't stay long.  (Lynsey and my roomie/bestie Linda saw the play that weekend, and both loved it.  Wife and daughter did not choose to see it.)

I felt left behind.  I felt that way when all my friends left for college in August 1984, and Drexel didn't start for another month.  I was alone- missing that next step.  I'll come back to this.

Forum went very well.  We sold out most of our performances, and always got laughs- usually when we wanted them.  Our parts evolved through the shows as we figured out what worked and what didn't.  At the last show, many of the speaking cast added a bit of improv to their roles.  I added a little flair at the end of my dance which caught Pseudolus (the lead) by surprise.

As that last show wound down, my thoughts were "it's really ending.  There's only a couple of scenes left- a couple of songs... then the final number, our bows, a cast photo... and it was over.  After the audience left, we started to tear down the set.


The set, all but finished.  Houses of  (L to R) Lycus, Senex, and Erronius.

Within a couple of hours, it was gone.  I hurt my back helping with something heavy, and spent the rest of the time sweeping.  All the work, the laughs, the songs... no trace.  I went home, showered (I was a disgusting sweaty mess,) put on a different dress, and went to the Cast Party.

The cast party was held at the home of the music director's sister.  The house was huge and beautiful.  The food was wonderful.  I brought my bottle of Glenmorangie scotch, but no one would drink any with me.  I had some food, hung out a bit, and then it was time for director gifts.  Like everyone else, I received 9 chocolate gold coins (it has significance in the play.)  A member of the cast made little plaques for members of the production staff: lights, sound, director, music, set designer... but not for the person who made the props.

I didn't need a plaque.  I just wanted a public "hey, great job!  Thanks!'  A couple of people expressed that to me privately, and I received credit in the program, but, well, I was production staff too, and worked hard on those props.  What happened to those?  I gave most of them to cast members.  I kept one bottle: the "Colt 45" one.  The rest got tossed in the trash.  I don't have room for them, so...  In any case, what's done is done.



After that little gift exchange, I had a little dessert.  I finished my can of soda, said my goodbyes, and left.  The sun was beginning to set, and the quiet street had an autumnal glow to it.  I really wasn't hanging out in any of the little groups, and I knew that eventually I would break down in tears.  Which I did enroute the one mile to my apartment.

I spent most of the next day laying down; resting my sore back.  It still hurts as of this writing, two days later.

In a month and a half, I will be back in State College starting my PhD program.  My cast mates will be in other productions.  It's an extended family- all the little community theaters around here, and all of the performers jump from production to production between each place.  For them, this was just another play.  For me, it was the last.  I'll be too busy studying to do plays.

As I said- left behind.  No longer in the "circle."  I've been around the block enough times to know that once someone leaves the circle, their connection to it withers.  For example, many of my coworkers at Games Workshop were like family to me.  Now, all these years later, I hear from them on Facebook, if then.  I further left circles when I transitioned.  I know I'll hear from a couple of them occasionally- they're good people.  But our shared time ended on Sunday, and that makes me very sad.




In fact, I've been fairly depressed since that day.  More so than usual.

I'll start packing for the move this week.  It won't be real until I get to PSU.  Until then, the reality of the Play, and those wonderful people, will have to comfort me.

Tragedy Tomorrow- Comedy Tonight.

Be well.



4 comments:

  1. I wish I was brave enough to do half of the things that you do. You are an inspiration to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I posted here before but it disappeared. I guess I didnt make a big enough impression to be mentioned but that's the story of MY life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I approved everything I've seen for this entry so far, so...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete