Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Keystone Conference 2019

Astute readers may have noticed that I haven't posted a blog entry about this year's Keystone Conference, which is something I've posted about every year.  After all, it was held over a month ago.

I was only there two days, unlike other times when I spent almost a week there.  No money means no fun time.  In fact, the only reason I spent more than one day this time was due to Kristyn King's generosity.  (She is president of SEPa Renaissance.)  Thanks Kristyn!

This was the 11th Keystone Conference, but the first without Dr. Jeanine Ruhsam.  She died the week before, and her death cast a shadow over the conference.  I've never missed a Keystone yet, which is one of the reasons I went.  Also, I was scheduled to speak on Saturday.  This was the ninth time I presented at the event.

This would be the first time in years that I attended without my roomie/bestie Linda.  Another bestie, Ally, was also absent.  I felt their absences keenly.

I arrived early Friday afternoon.  At the registration desk was one of my Vanity Club little sisters, Gina.  I only ever see her at Keystone, so I was very happy to see her.  I spent the next hour or so saying hello to people I hadn't seen since the previous year's conference.


With Gina (L) and Sami (R)- my VC Little Sisters

Then I went upstairs to get ready for the night.  It was the Vanity Club dinner.  This would be the largest VC dinner yet, so why wasn't I excited?  Because I was deeply depressed.  I had been for weeks.  I felt like I was going through the motions.  Still, some of my dearest friends were there, like Kimberly Moore, Stephanie Wardlow, and Stephanie Shostak.  Several women were "pinned in" as new sisters, including Keira Kristine.


With the gorgeous Kimberly Moore

Dinner was good, and we all assembled for the group photo.  The hardest part was making sure my eyes weren't closed during the picture.

After dinner, I went back to the hotel.  I was tired after a long day, but stayed up.  I was going to have a visitor.  The next day, I had to be ready to present, so I didn't drink much.

Finally the visitor arrived:  Amanda Farren.  She'd spent years in San Francisco, and recently moved back east to Baltimore.  I'd talked her into coming to the conference, as she also was feeling down.  I figured seeing so many old friends would cheer her up.  I hadn't seen her in six years- since before I went full time.

It warmed my heart to see her face as she reconnected with so many people.

****************************

Posting this unfinished.







1 comment:

  1. I have attended (as a male) many of the major conferences (SCC, Diva, IGFE, etc) but always thought Keystone is the friendliest and most enjoyable event. It was a bit like "Cheers" because so many people were there year after year. New folks were always welcomed warmly. Glad you got to attend again

    ReplyDelete