Sunday, July 7, 2019

Assistantship news

I’ve written previously, that I was accepted to Penn State U-Park to study for my PhD in Adult and Continuing Education, with a minor in Women’s Studies.  I also reported that I was turned down for an assistantship, which meant I was responsible for tuition, expenses… everything.  I wrote about how I didn’t know how I’d afford it, and boo hoo and such.  I wrote about knocking on doors, and phone calls, etc.

Worrying has caused sleepless nights, and deep depression.  Like that's anything new.


Friday night- going to sing karaoke

Well, I received an email in late June which read (I part) the following:

The faculty really appreciate your dedication to our program, despite financial uncertainties. We had a discussion about this and have all agreed that our program will offer you a GA position for next year...you are guaranteed a GA position with a faculty in our program at 20 hours a week, which pays a stipend and tuition.

A few emails back and forth, and, as of Friday, July 5, 2019, I received a signed document stating that I officially have that assistantship.  And the “Meager pay” I always heard about?  It’s more than I was paid per month at the book store after 14 years of service.  Seriously. 

This appointment covers my first year of study: fall and spring semesters. 

So in mid-August, I’ll move back to State College.  Yes, my roomie/bestie the Internet Sensation Linda Lewis is coming as well.  She’s already started the job search.   We found an apartment just north of campus already.  I'm too old for the party scene, and I know how noisy it can be in town on some nights.

That said, this will be the furthest away from Wife and Daughter that I have lived since Daughter was born.  Two and a half hours.  I barely see her now as it is.  Wife says they'll come up twice a month.  I hope she does, but I wouldn't be surprised if that peters out. 

In any case, the assistantship is good news.  I'll take it.

Be well.

8 comments:

  1. Sophie -

    Congratulations! Now you can start work on your degree. As you are well aware, Grad work is at a higher level of intensity from Undergrad. Please do us all proud by finding a way to complete the PhD program INCLUDING DISSERTATION, so we can see a Dr. (PhD) Sophie (surname here) in the future. I'd even make a special trip to PA to congratulate you when that happens!!!!!

    Good Luck!!!!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie - you so deserve this. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news Sophie! Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Assistantship! Here's to new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What wonderful news! So glad for you.

    Once you’re in a few months we can talk about your insights on academia. Don’t let the opaqueness of this life obscure your goals. Eyes on the prize, you. And enjoy.

    Your children will grow larger and you will grow older. There are lots of chapters ahead.


    And remember this Penn State is not the one you remember. Don’t get sad when you don’t find it. (Having both been a student and faculty at Wesleyan I loved the former and loathed the latter.). Keep looking ahead.


    Also, 7 years from now, when you find the job market gruesome and punishing, do not say no one warned you.

    There are great days ahead. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent news, now you can start properly on the next stage of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! Hurrah! Oh, Sophie, this is fabulous news. You’ve endured so much, now you can breathe the fresh air of joy. My hat is off to the faculty who recognized what we all know . . . . You are a smart woman of great character who deserves a chance to prove herself. Enjoy the freedom that this success brings.

    Best regards,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats... hadn't seen you much in Facebook so i figured I'd look up your blog

    ReplyDelete