Sunday, March 24, 2024

Keystone Conference 2024 and the Broken Bra

As I write this, it's Sunday, March 24, 2024.  Today, hundreds of people like me are leaving the Hilton Harrisburg and returning to their daily routines.  For up to four days, they reveled in the company of people just like them: transgender people both out and closeted.  Dozens of people attended for the first time.  How many took those brave first steps out the that hotel room and into the elevator to the convention floor?  believe me- that takes a LOT of courage.  it's an admission of who you are inside, and a determination to share that inner self with others, like minded.  One can never find a more supportive place to take those first steps.  I remember my first Keystone and the clusterfuck of my first steps out of the room.  I wrote about that here.  

I attended for Saturday only, less than last year.  Last year was a disaster, as I felt sick, depressed, and isolated.  I left before the gala dinner, and was back at my apartment before the attendees sat down for that.  


And so it was that I woke up at 6 am, showered, shaved, and pulled out the dusty makeup box.  I can't remember the last time I dolled up.  My lipliner pencils were dried up.  My roomie/bestie woke up around 6:45, so I could stop trying to be quiet.  I decided to wear a slightly fancy purple dress so I'd be overdressed for the day and underdressed for the night.  I also brought a darker shade of lipstick with me for evening wear.


After a stop for gas, I hit the rainy, foggy road.  Ninetyish minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot at the Hilton.  I ended up near the top of the garage, as the place was packed.  After taking a quick selfie, I started to walk toward to the elevator.  I heard a metallic *ping*and a sudden... sagging feeling.  Something goes wrong for me at every Keystone, and this time it was early.  I was wearing a front clasp bra from VS that had served me well for a long time.  Well, it decided that this moment was the best time to give up the ghost.  The clasp split in half and was hanging on for dear life.  Wonderful.


Broken

A few minutes later, I was in the lobby, where I saw friends.  We chatted briefly, then I encountered my dear friend Jenny North from the Washington DC area.  She writes wonderful short stories and runs some TG comic websites (as in she chronicles appearances of transgender themes in comics).  As a cosplayer, she always carries safety pins with her.  She gave me two, and, after we found a table for lunch, I went to the restroom to attempt to pin the bra shut.  I failed spectacularly and really stuck my finger with a pin while simultaneously causing the clasp to give up its futile attempt to hold on.  


I went back to the table where we'd been joined by the Legendary Amanda Richards (sans makeup, as a nap went on too long.) Also there was my friend Jamie, who I hadn't seen in years.  She's always a delight.  

In front of the huge banquet room was a picture of my dear friend Jen Jensen (JJ.) During lunch, she was given a very moving eulogy.  I miss her.  Not having her at Keystone left a void.  


After lunch, I went to the dealer's room, hoping beyond hope that one of the vendors sold bras.  There I saw my dear friend and mentor Jone.  We spoke briefly, then I noticed that there was a dealer of *ahem* lacy unmentionables.  She had a bralette, but she had my size, and some support is better than none, so I spent $45 I couldn't spare.  It fit, but the girls were still quite bouncy.  Oh well.  I ended up bringing the dead bra back to the apartment where I could show Linda then give it a proper burial in the trash can.  


Sirena, Amanda, and me at the bar

I lurked around a bit, going upstairs to a Vanity Club open social, where my dear friend Sharon bought me a drink.  After leaving that, I then found a seat at the bar with Amanda Richards, who wanted to watch the Iowa women's basketball game.  Amanda owed me a few drinks from betting on Iowa football against my Nittany Lions.  She bought me two, then my dear friend Sirena appeared and bought me one.  That would be my last alcoholic drink, as I knew I had to drive home 6 hours later.  (Iowa won over Holy Cross 91-65.)  

I lurked around again, meeting people and chatting with friends.  Soon, people began appearing in beautiful gowns for the gala dinner.  And, as expected, I was underdressed.  I found a table with Jenny, Jamie, Amanda, and Jenny again.  Unlike lunch, the table filled quickly.  The dinner speaker was Gabi Tuft, a former professional wrestler who transitioned.  Her talk was compelling, but I had to get going. I hugged my friends goodbye, returned to my car and drove through the long winding night road to State College, arriving back at 11 PM- very tired.


Gabi Tuft speaking

I've written before (somewhere) that I no longer need Keystone like I used to.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.  I felt wonderful being surrounded by people like me: transgender, from whom I didn't have to worry about being judged or misgendered.  I loved seeing dear friends and meeting new people.  I feel pretty isolated at PSU.  I have Linda here, and some friends, but no one with the history I have with my friends at Keystone.  I've never missed a Keystone conference (this was the 14th) and I hope to keep that streak alive.  


And tomorrow?  Tomorrow, I mark ten years since coming out.  But that's another story.

 

Be well. 


UPDATE:  A few days later, Covid knocked me on my butt, caught at Keystone.  It wasn't as bad as the first time, as I'd been vaccinated and got the drug to help with it, but still sucked.  



Sophie Selfie: my Keystone Conference look

2 comments:

  1. Sophie I am honored and proud to call you my dear friend. Thank you for everything you have done for me and so many others. I’m always here if you need me. Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful to see you as always at Keystone. Like yourself I have attended each one even when conflicting family obligations caused me to leave early. Thank you for eloquently describing yiur conference experience . Good or bad. We do what we can. I come every year to volunteer and spread the magic of Keystone and to make the first timers feel welcome like JJ always did. Seeing you reminds me of the happy times we had in the earlier years of the conference.

    ReplyDelete