Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Summer's here and the time is wrong

Memorial Day passed yesterday, so now it's unofficially summer.  My fave season, because I hate being cold, and I love the freedom it used to represent.  


I really don't have much to write today, as I'm not feeling it.  I finished my dissertation proposal and turned it in last Friday, so now I wait for the next step (which will be defending it.)  After that, I can start the IRB process, as I will be using human subjects in my research.  Once I get through that, I can begin my actual research.  


Florida has become a fascist state under the GQP.  The HRC and NAACP as well as other organizations have issued travel warning to LGBTQ and people of color, warning that travel to Florida could be dangerous.  


I found two articles in a Pensacola newspaper (actually, the amazing Sabrina Pandora found them, and I read them.)


The first is about Florida now able to legally kidnap children,


https://www.pnj.com/story/news/politics/2023/05/17/florida-sb-254-florida-abduction-transgender-bill-now-law-what-it-does/70206291007/


The second is what to do if you're transgender and living in Florida.


https://www.pnj.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/25/floridas-trans-people-parents-of-trans-kids-see-options-steadily-banned/70132161007/


In other words, if you're trans, they GQP is coming for you, and this is what they want for ALL of the US.  Remember, the GQP has said out loud that they want us eradicated.  Or parents who allow their transgender kids to live should be shot in the head.  


So, yeah, I'm feeling a bit down.  I wonder if my research is too little too late against the tide of right wing Hate.  They lie, and people believe the lies.  We have science on our side, but the GQP has a propaganda machine that stokes anger and fear.  


Why hasn't the federal government stepped in?  HRC?  Lambda Legal?  Anyone?  (Answer: because we're transgender.)


Sigh.


Stay safe and be well.




1 comment:

  1. Canada has accepted Americans as asylum seekers in the past, and they have laws to protect trans people's lives. If the GOP lunatics get control, it might be time to start singing O Canada! (I've had to think about that....)

    ReplyDelete