Sunday, August 26, 2018

A Quick Jaunt to PSU

On Monday, August 20, 2018, I awoke early, smeared makeup on my face, and drove west to my happy place:  Penn State University Park.  I went to talk to a few people about PhD programs, and did so.  I met three different doctorates, and discussed my research ideas with them.  However that isn't the point of this post.


With an Old Friend


It was the first day of classes at PSU, and students were everywhere.  I could feel the electricity- the anticipation of a new school year.  For some, it is their first time away from home.

I finished my meetings, and went to the campus LGBT center.  I'd invited its director and assistant director to lunch, but they were busy.  I also contacted a facialbook friend, Susie, but she was up to her eyeballs in work, so no go.  So I walked down to College Ave, and over to Baby's, a 50s style diner that opened while I was at PSU in 1987.  



So this was a 50s diner, which opened in the 80s- 30 years after the 50s.  It's now 30 years after the 50s... I feel so old.

Anyway, as it was just me, I sat at the counter.  A beautiful young waitress took my order (Original burger, no tomato, fries, and a hand-spun chocolate shake.)  Her name was Brittany, and I detected the hint of an accent.

As I waited for my drink, I pulled out my writing notebook to write a few things down about the day.  That's when Brittany returned and said "May I ask you a personal question?"

I knew what the topic would be, sighed and said "sure."

She asked "Which pronouns do you prefer?  I mean..." 

"She/her/hers, thank you for asking."


At Baby's

She'd clocked me as trans, obviously.  She then told me about waiting on a table the day before of four people- three girls and one guy.  She said "hello ladies" and the guy seemed deflated.  Turns out he was a transgender man, and felt misgendered.  She said she apologized profusely, and didn't want to make the same mistake again.  While she spoke, another fresh faced waitress joined her.  Michaela is a little taller than Brittany, with pink and black hair (PSU's original colors from the 1880s, but I'm not sure she knew that.)  She had many more buttons than Brittany.  I commented that she "needed more flair" but she didn't get the reference

Kids these days.

Some of the buttons she had were trans-positive.  I'd picked up a button at the LGBT center (a heart with the transgender flag colors,) so I fished it out of my purse and gave it to her.  She was very excited.


Brittany and Michaela.  Note the trans-heart button


The ladies spoke to me when they could while working their sections.  I was right about Brittany's accent: Texas.  She did her best to hide it, but as I'm an "accent chameleon" I picked up on it.  I told them both stories of PSU of my time, and they asked lots of questions, both about PSU and about the transgender experience. 

The burger was as good as I remembered, as was the milkshake (best in State College!)  As I was preparing to leave, Brittany was as well, as she had to get to class.  She was working her way through school- a VERY tall order these days.  I paid my check (leaving a huge tip) and started back to my car at the HUB parking deck. 


Students on College Ave


It was a good visit.  I'd met people, and had a few hours at my Happy Place.  I watched the students rushing here and there, many glued to their phones.  I wanted to shake them and tell them to put the phones away- to keep their heads up, eyes open, and drink it all in; because the time goes by so very fast, and they enjoy every moment of it.  As the poet sang "Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there."



After another short errand, I turned my car southeast, and headed back to Phoenixville. 

Back to my life.  Away from Home.


4 comments:

  1. Always good to see one of your posts, hon! :c) I really enjoyed it. Hope you're doing well. If I can help any more with your resume, cover letter, etc., just let me know! :c)

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun day. I'd love to read more about the LGBT Center there, if you ever care to write about it.

    Hugs,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew much more about it aside from what's on their page, I'd spill it. But I don't. Kinda get the feeling my presence is "tolerated" there.

      Delete