Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The significance of pants

The holidays ended. 

The stockings that were hung by the chimney with care are now sleeping wherever they stay for most of the year.  (Do they have visions of sugar plums while they dream?) The dinners are consumed, the hangovers are suffered.  Hell most people have even done all their gift returns!

So what have we learned?  What have we gained?  I can't answer that for everyone obviously.  Most of us gained some weight.  I gained a nasty hangover last Sunday, but more on that in a bit.

Mostly what I gained were two opportunities to be me.  Out and about, partying and enjoying what I could of the season.  My first chance was at Angela's Laptop Lounge Christmas bash on December 18th at Blue Pacific.  Believe it or not, I decided to wear Red wondering if I had enough class (thanks Prince!)


Sophie Claus is coming to town!


Yes, a red top, black leather skirt and boots.  Typical trampy Sophie!  No class.  Heehee.  A session at Amanda Richard's True Colors to get my makeup done and I was on my way! 


Like my eye makeup?


I missed Renaissance.  See, I had to work 9-5 that day, jumped in the car, drove to Amanda's, makeup, then back.  By the time I was back in the area it was 9:30 and Ren was done.  It's a shame as December marked my second anniversary of attending.  Oh well. 


So it was a wonderful night at Ren.  I had a blast and was running on adrenaline.  After all, I was out dressed in a leather skirt and I thought I looked hot!  This is a new feeling for me: confidence in my look.




So I took that wonderful feeling into Christmas.  Then the week after.  Being Sophie does that for me.

New Years Eve was quiet.  I stayed home.  New Year's day was a different story.  It was rainy and ugly and my Nittany Lions lost their bowl game.  I was in a room getting ready.  I was doing my own makeup this time.  It was Laptop Lounge's New Year's Bash, featuring music from the 70s and 80s.  As I am a HUGE 80s music freak, I had to be there.  In fact, I supplied Angela with 4 cd's of uncommon 80s music.  After all, how many times can you "Come on Eileen" in one night?

So ok, I did my own makeup.  I'm getting better at it.  What made this night different to me was I wore pants.  Jeggings to be precise.  This would be my first time out as Sophie wearing pants.  I wondered if I was feminine enough to do it. 


So I pulled on a tight sweater and my boots and off I went to Blue Pacific



What do you think?

The party started early: 8 PM.  I was a little earlier than that, and the place was already hopping.  I reconnected with many friendly faces, including my "big sis" Mel.  We shared drinks.  And the bartender bought me sake.  And more sake...  and I hadn't eaten...




Look at the size of that wine glass!

Oh did I get drunk!  I hate being drunk as Sophie, as this is not how I believe a "lady" would comport herself.  But drunk I was, and dancing and dancing.  Eventually, my dear sisters did the right thing and took my keys from me.  They drove me back to the motel where I promptly passed out dressed.  Sleeping while Sophie.

So, I actually went out in pants.  Normally I'm a skirt girl.  However this was quite a step.  I'm trying different things- things that most women take for granted.  I wanted to look feminine in jeans.  Did I do it?  I think so.  I hope so.  It's another step on this long journey.  A baby step to be sure, but a step.  Slowly I learn more and I become better at being this girl named Sophie.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to pass as a true woman someday!  A girl can dream you know!



In any case, here's wishing you a wonderful, joyous and brave New Year.  May you overcome life's obstacles and may your hose never run!  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog.
    It is interesting in that we have common issues, situations, etc.
    It is so rare that I can ever get out that the thought of doing so in 'pants' has never crossed my mind. I can understand what you had to say. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete