Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Capacitor for Work

I'm currently fifty six years old and not in great shape.  Today I did the following:
Emptied a book shelf.

After doing so, I felt worn out.  I was coated in sweat, and for a time I felt dizzy.  I told my roomie/bestie Linda that I didn't feel good.  But I'd rented a van, and only had it for a few hours, so we had to get moving.  

You see, dear reader, I'd agreed to take a bookshelf from one of my bosses, as he's moving out of state.  It didn't fit in my car, so I needed a van.  And I needed Linda's help, as it was not only big, but very heavy- good sturdy wood.  Sturdy HEAVY wood. 

 

So off to Port Matilda (a nearby town) with the van, with Linda driving.  We loaded the van with a little help, and drove back as the sun set.  We still had a problem: how to get it out of the van, up a flight of steps, into the apartment and set up.  The shelf is 7 feet tall and heavy!!  

Fortunately a neighbor was home, and helped us carry it.  He refused any form of payment, but agreed to a dram of Glenmorangie with me.  

Then Linda and I moved just a few more things, and I reloaded the one shelf.  I was a sweaty mess.  Again, I felt dizzy and so tired.  So very tired- just loading and unloading a shelf.  I used to do this sort of thing all the time- stocking shelves, moving books around, with no trouble at all.

Now, doing this completely wears me out.  It makes me feel like my ability to work, my ability to be useful, may be coming to an end.  And of course, in a capitalist society, if I can't work then I'm worthless.  Maybe I need a capacitor to help my capacity to work.

I made that vase in art class my senior year in high school.

In any case, the one shelf is restocked, and the other will have books and things.  The apartment is small, so having more shelving helps.  

This getting old thing really sucks.

Be well.

2 comments:

  1. I’m 72 and overweight and it’s not like I’m 24 any more, but your level of discomfort at this task is alarming. Please let your doctor know about this and help you establish an exercise regimen. I’m off in an hour to PT. It’s no fun, but it has increased my strength. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's I nice book shelf, but to be that impacted is worrying definitely sounds like it might be time fur a fitness regime. I'm nearly ten years older and have to make sure I keep moving.

    ReplyDelete