Wednesday, January 20, 2021

46

This morning the snow flurried down in the wind.  Eventually it stopped and the sun emerged.

Sleep has been elusive of late, and last night was no exception.  I was worried that something would happen to keep 45 in power.  I was worried that his insurrectionists would detonate a bomb or something to cause 45 to declare martial law.  

I settled on the couch around 11:30, in time to see the flags presented.  (Space force?  Seriously?)

Then, the inauguration.  A new president.  Our 4 year national nightmare is over.  I cried.

On facialbook, my friend Melissa Anne Segbarth wrote "After 4 years of living in fear of the president of the United States.  I can breath again."  (Shared with her kind permission.)  That sums it up perfectly.  

Four years ago, when 45 was elected, I wrote that I didn't think I'd survive his term.  So many of us didn't.  So many transgender women died of violence- more than ever before.  So many took their own lives as well.  It seemed that every week, another friend of a friend would be mourned after suicide.  I can't blame them.


Taken the other day

For the first time in 4 years, I feel I don't have to constantly on guard and ready to leave at a moment's notice.  I'll keep my bug-out bag ready, but not next to the front door.

The evil didn't end- the cult leader may be dethroned, but the cult survives.  What's next for them?  More treason and insurrection?  That's my guess.

In any case, I was wrong- I'm still here and still alive.  Not that I want to be, but here I am.  I'm no longer in Phoenixville, and I'm now starting a new semester: part 2 of year 2 of my PhD.  

Today I can breathe a sigh of relief.  Tomorrow- back to work.


5 comments:

  1. Sophie -

    Remember what I said when you first started along your path to a PhD - take things one step at a time and don't let them overwhelm you. You have successfully made it through a year of coursework, and now have to set your sights on how you'll fulfill the requirements for the PhD. Keep it up, and you'll get to where you need to be!

    Good Luck!!!!

    M

    ps: I'm just as glad as you are that #45 is gone. But I had faith that we'd all survive him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all breathed a collective sigh of relief yesterday. Somehow it now feels like a safer kinder World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. President Biden's nominated Dr Rachel Levine at HHS, so that's good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as many in the world drew a breath of fresh air with the inauguration completed, I think about how much damage 45 and the GOP has done. I was elated to see Biden remove the discrimination the 45 put upon the Trans Community. I was especially happy to see the reversal on trans in the military. I hope and pray that in 4 years the GOP doesn't do something to reverse it again.

    ReplyDelete