Wednesday, August 12, 2020

What now? (School edition)

Yesterday I learned that my best chance for a Graduate Assistant position slipped away.  I didn't get the job.  I got the usual platitudes "tough decision" etc.  This was for the "Center for Sexual and Gender Equality" here on campus.  I applied, and was interviewed. 

They already knew me, as I volunteered for the place last year- many hours speaking, mentoring.  I'm good enough for that, but not for a job.

Was it because I'm too old?  Not "passing" enough?  Too fat?


Yesterday- no makeup

Those are the reasons I usually get when rejected for a job. 

I can hear you now.  "Stop whining!"  "Get moving!"  "Be positive!' 

I've said many times in my life (and on this blog): if you hit someone in the head with a baseball bat enough times, they WILL go down.

I'm looking for alternate ways of survival.  Hell, I'm too old and fat even for prostitution.


Hope your life is better than mine.




4 comments:

  1. My mom is dying of end stage Parkinson's disease in the hospital here in N.J. My eldest daughter has Covid and has now developed pneumonia on top of that! She is in a hospital in Florida. Things are not "better" in my life, but that doesn't help you. If they have admitted, in the past, to nor hiring you be ause of being too old or too fat.....that is blatant discrimination and is illegal and SUCKS!!! I am truly sorry you didn't get the GA. Rough. Please try to stay in the light. Bad things happen. Life will go on. Perseverance.♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be keeping your family in my prayers, Kim!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you were turned down for the job, Sophie. I know how it feels to hear the word Sorry no job here for you. I'm 68 years young and the main reason I can't find work is they are looking for someone that will be around for at least 5 years and is in better shape that I am medically.
    I was told by an honest(?) HR guy that to insure me in their medical insurance, would cost the company twice as much as say a 50 year old. Plus at the time I was 62, and they look for people that don't qualify for retirement within 2 to 3 years. As for, as Kim stated, it's discrimination that would be hard to prove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie, I wanted to stop by and say hello. I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t land the GA position. I was speaking with a mutual friend today and I learned of of your difficulties. I hope that something comes along and you can continue your education- I learned a lot from you in class and I realize what a strong leader you are. I am hoping for you. Rich A.

    ReplyDelete