Friday, December 13, 2019

Men of the Skull: Chapter 180 Senior Dinner


This as one of the final chapters of my book.  Like many Education majors, my last semester was spent student teaching.  The lucky ones were able to get positions near State College, but not me- as I lived in SEPa, that's where I was assigned.  Ok, makes sense, despite my desire to stay at PSU.

In any case, Skull used to have this tradition of a dinner to say goodbye to graduating seniors.  It was a fancy affair, which I described in detail in the chapter.  I have NO idea if they still do this.  Once the dinner ended, those seniors were considered as alumni- no longer "actives."  In a way, they were "drumming us out" of the House.  After the dinner, undergrads would choose their rooms for the next semester.  
Me in fall 1988.  The girl in yellow was a Little Sister.  I forget who the other girl was.

A couple of points to note here- "Sparky" is now a VERY successful restauranteur.  The party I mention was at Toftrees- where I now live.  "Sandi" was a classmate, whom I brought to two of our annual Toga parties (they were Skull's biggest party back then.)  The Adam's Apple is still open...

And not going to the Adam's Apple with those guys is one of my life's big regrets.  I wonder how my relationship with those three guys might've changed, if at all.  Of the three, the only one I have occasional contact with these days is "Dogger."  I communicated with "Peso" for a bit, but it's been years now.  Motel?  I have NO idea what happened to him.

This time of year (it's going into finals week here at PSU) I always think about this night.  The memory is clear as the glass I shattered in the fireplace.  And I was just as broken.  

*******************************************
Chapter 180: Senior Dinner

Friday, December 9, 1988 Tens of thousands killed by earthquake in Armenia

            Brothers and pledges were dressed in their suits and most of them even showered.  It was another Senior Dinner at the Bone, but for me, this one was different.  This one was mine. 
            So I sat at the front tables.  I was on the end closest to the fireplace.  I guess they wanted me “out” as fast as possible.  Next to me were Motel, then Peso, then Dogger. 
            Everyone else had hotdogs and beans.  It would be a smelly night in the Bone tonight!  At our table we had an incredible steak, green beans, and a huge pile of shrimp.  Motel grumbled that he didn’t like steak, so I traded him his steak for my shrimp.  Steak ala Sparky- and two huge pieces!  Wow!  Sparky really was an awesome chef!
Photo from 1987 of a brother on my Apple Macintosh.  I think it was the only computer in the House.

            In time we finished eating, and the glasses of bourbon were placed before us.  Strange- I somehow never thought that the glass would ever be in front of me.
            Clothesline stood and made a few remarks about how much we four had meant to the house, mentioning things each of had done.  For me, he mentioned the scrapbook and Officer of the Year and that was all.  But that was enough. 
            He then had everyone stand and sing to us.  To me.
Hail to thee, [name of fraternity], Sweetheart of my youth,
Crown'd thy brow with fadeless laurels, Pledge we now our troth. 
Join in chorus, wake the echoes,
Shout it loyal chaps!
BUMDEBUM BUM BUM BUM!
Here's a toast, now drink it hearty,
Hail, all hail [fraternity]!
            I guzzled the bourbon, which was hot and welcoming as it slid down to my stomach, then turned to the fireplace and threw the glass against the back wall as hard as I could.  I seemed to shatter in slow motion.
            It was over- I was a Skull alumni.

            Wow.

            I stepped to the side as Motel, Peso, and Dogger all shattered their glasses.
            We were surrounded by the Hood.  Brothers shook my hand and wished me well, but didn’t linger- and I didn’t expect them to, either.
            Besides, I had places to go and people to see.
            I ran upstairs to change into something more appropriate- for a party.
            You see, all my Education buddies were having a party that night, and I knew Sandi would be there.  I kinda looked at this as a last chance to score with her.  Or something.  I just wasn’t sure how I’d do it.
            After changing, I went down to borrow Wags car- I’d have to drive to this place.  Motel, Peso, and Dogger were waiting for me in the foyer.  The rest of the Hood were taping the floor maps to the wall and otherwise preparing for Room Pricks.
            “Lance, aren’t you coming with us?”  Peso asked
            Huh?
            They WANT me to come along?  I never thought they’d want me to join them.
            “Um, I’m sorry, I didn’t um expect to be invited so I made other plans,” I said.
            “Why wouldn’t you be invited?  This is tradition, man!”  Motel said.
            Did I REALLY think I could get Sandi?  After all, I failed at Toga.
            “I really gotta go,” I said.  I pulled my last twenty out of my pocket and handed it to Motel. 
            “Here- have a round on me.”
            I turned and walked out the back door to parking lot.
            The party was at Toftrees, a new housing development just north of town.  I drove through the freezing cold night and found the place easily enough.
           
            The party was a bunch of education majors draped all over the furniture of a townhouse.  Talking.  Quiet jazz music.  No drinking games, no dancing, no nothing.  I spoke to Sandi briefly, but it was mostly about student teaching.  That’s all anyone was talking about: student teaching. 
            I was bored to tears.
            I gave up the Adam’s Apple for this?
            I left the party early, mumbling something about “prior commitments.”  Got a hug from Sandi, at least.  Drove back to the house.  Handed the keys to Wags.  Went to the front door.
            Just in time for Dogger, Peso, and Motel to walk in.  I missed it all, and for what?  A lousy hug!
            Shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment