Wednesday, February 4, 2015

On Bruce Jenner

Bruce Jenner has been in the news of late.

In case you've been out of touch, Bruce Jenner won the 1976 Gold medal in the decathlon for the US.  He was on Wheaties boxes, etc.  Currently, he's best known from being the Kardashian's step dad.  Oh how the mighty have fallen!



So today alone, three of my coworkers asked my opinion of the Bruce Jenner situation.  i wonder why they asked me?  Like I have an opinion?  Hee hee.

I don't know Bruce Jenner, and all I know about his current situation is what I read and what I'm told, as I don't watch that tv show.  But I will say this:

If Bruce Jenner is transitioning, I wish her the best of luck and strength.  She's going to need it.

Transitioning is so very hard even in the most private circumstances.  Some people have it relatively easy- others...  well, others don't survive it.  So far I've managed to stay alive, though more than once I've considered my situation Hopeless.

Bruce Jenner would have to transition in the full glare of a media frenzy.  She would become the new Face of Trans- for better or for worse.

Maybe Bruce Jenner will be exactly what the community needs- a thoughtful, articulate spokesperson used to the spot light.  Maybe the media will stop laughing and take her seriously, and start taking US seriously.  Maybe the extremists on the Right will learn to stop hating.

Me?  I can't see how this ends well.  But I've been wrong before.




No comments:

Post a Comment