Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Gender Bender Vendor" Night

Saturday night, November 17 was a Night out!

As always on the third Saturday, it was time for a Renaissance meeting and for Angela's Laptop Lounge.

This time would be a little different.  Amanda Richards wasn't available, so I did my own makeup.  More on that later.  I also crossed a major milestone.  I'll get to that as well.

So the November meeting at Ren was "Vendor night," which means we invited people/businesses who cater to the transgender community to come to the meeting.  Three were kind enough to attend.

Amanda Richards from True Colors Makeup Artistry was there (which is why she was unavailable to do my makeup.) 

Lorraine Anderson of Occasional Woman was there.  She is a seamstress extraordinaire, who works with theater clients as well as transgendered clients.  It was she who dubbed the night "Gender bender vendor night." 

There was an author as well.  I'll find out who it was.  She was signing books.

There were many people there and the Vendors happily answered questions and (hopefully) made some sales.

After this, many of us went over to Laptop.  It was there that I realized the Major Milestone.


My Outfit for the Night

You see, before Renaissance, I dressed as always.  I wore a new skirt and top, both from ebay.  I did my makeup and hair.  (My hair was being very unruly, btw.)  Lorraine didn't know where Ren was, so I offered to meet her at a place she DOES know: Shangrila.  Those who have been following along for a while know that this is where Laptop USED to be held some time ago.

So I drove over to Shangrila, parked, and walked in.  I sat at the bar and waited.  I ordered food and a diet coke. 

After maybe thirty minutes, Lorraine arrived.  She had a drink, and we went to Renaissance.

No big deal, right?

So what's the milestone?

I got out of my car, walked into the bar, sat, ordered...alone.  No one I knew was in there.  I walked in confidently as a Woman, ordered and waited.  No one raised an eyebrow.  I didn't think twice about it.

Being a Woman in that situation was completely natural.

In retrospect, that was a major, Major step.  I'm becoming comfortable and more confident as a Woman.  It felt totally natural being out and about in a skirt.  A year ago, I may not have gone into a place alone.  Two years ago, definitely not. 

So many of us went to Laptop.  There were several new girls again.  That's always good to see.  I also saw a couple new admirers.  Amanda arrived and was immediately mobbed by fans.  Lorraine stayed at the area where Nikki sat (she is the one who collects admission fees- a job I do occasionally as well.)  Turns out that Nikki is Lorraine's daughter's best friend.  Small world.

I stayed a while.  I enjoyed reconnecting with my sisters and making the rounds.  Seeing who was wearing what. 

But I wasn't feeling it.  I tried a different lingerie set- a one piece and it provided no breast support.  So my boobs kept migrating south.  And I was coming down with a cold (which I now have full bore.)  And my contacts were killing me.  Whine whine.

Most of all, I was just a little depressed that this was it for me going out for the year.  Next Tuesday, I lose my license for thirty days.  No Sophie time until December 28 at the earliest.  So I wanted this to be slam bang wow special.  And it was just a night out.  A Fun night, and an important night to be sure. 

I left a little early to change, clean up and go home.


Coda:  Monday I went to dinner with my dear friend Jen Johns.  While there, one of my teeth broke in half. 

Not a good omen.

It was fixed today.

I will start to be fixed December 10.  HRT.

For all of my readers in the USA, have a peaceful and joyous Thanksgiving!



 

2 comments: