Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 11: Cheeseburgers


Ok, after two vignettes that wouldn't make the cut if this were to be published, it's back to the plot.
Jill was another coworker whom I was attracted to, but I cut her from the book as nothing came of it, and it was a dull side-story.  In editing, she will disappear.

Jill was a nursing student at a nearby nursing school.  A former homecoming queen, she had an two year old son whose father ran out on them.  She was my age (20) and no nonsense.  I'm sure she did well in life.

I refer to "the Objects."  They are the Objects of the fraternity, which are learned by every Skull pledge, and are noted in earlier chapters.  

****************************************************************************

Chapter 2.11: Cheeseburgers

Thursday, October 1, 1986 Reagan Gorbachev to Meet

            Another shift on another grey and rainy day- at least Ashley worked with me.  Jill and Judy were both off.  The customers were few and far between, so Ashley and I talked about classes and other stuff.

 From October 1, 1986 Collegian

            “Are you going to see “Streetcar Named Desire” this weekend?”  Ashley asked.
            “I was thinking about it.  What about you?” 
            “I’d like to.  Some of my sisters are going.  I want to take advantage of all the cultural opportunities I can.  Have you seen it before?”
            Hah.  ‘Cooperation in the educational and cultural programs…’  I thought.  Wow- the Objects actually come through. 
            “No.  I heard that the movie is really good.”  I said.
            “It is really good!  Marlon Brando is incredible in it!” 
            Just then some customers came in, and we were a little busy.

            After Ashley clocked out, I waved her over to the burger board where I was making a whopper junior. 
            “Why don’t we go to the play together?”  I asked.
            “That would be nice!” she said.
            “Can I have your number, y’ know, call you?”
            Where did I get the sudden infusion of guts?  My stomach knotted. 
            “Sure!  She picked up a grease pencil that we used to mark wrappers and boxes, and she wrote the phone number on a yellow cheeseburger wrapper.  I then tore off the bottom part of the wrapper and wrote down my number on that.


From Oct 1, 86 Collegian

            I felt excited and sick.  I couldn’t believe that Ashley- Ashley!  - said yes!  Face it, since coming to Penn State, I managed to have a lot more luck than ever getting phone numbers from girls, but I had yet to turn those numbers into anything substantial.  I guess the girls sobered up before I called.  But Ashley gave me her number, and she was sober!
            So why did I feel a little like I was cheating on Julianne?  I mean, I owed her nothing.  She had a new boyfriend. 
            Ashley smiled and said goodbye as an order came over the speakers.
            Two cheeseburgers.


From Oct 1, 86 Collegian



No comments:

Post a Comment