Thursday, February 22, 2018

Skirt Dropping Interview

Monday, February 19 was a cool and cloudy day.  I awoke early to take my roomie and bestie, Linda, to work, then got ready for the day.

I had a job interview- the first since being heave-ho'ed from the bookstore. ("Execute Order 66!")  I won't say where it was; just that it was at an LGBT center for a University nearby.

A friend told me about the job, and I applied.  I somehow passed the phone interview, and was invited for an in-person one.  I was scheduled for 10:30 AM.


Ready for the Interview!

I did my research on the position and the University, and headed off early.  I was told I'd be met by someone who would give me a parking permit, so parking wouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately, the parking lot was completely full.

A woman came out and gave me the permit and a bottle of water, and gave me options on different parking lots.  I decided to swing around that one more time just in case.  The woman said she'd wait.  I found someone leaving.  She indicated I should take her spot, so I put on my blinker.  As i turned into the spot, a girl came speeding up in an SUV.  I had committed to the spot (and had my turn signal on) but she still gave me a one fingered salute.


Parking surrounded the building


true to her word, the woman waited for me.  We walked up to the back "patio" of the building, chatting.

Then my skirt fell down.

Completely.  As in belt on the ground.

Fortunately, I was wearing pantyhose.  But my panties?  Boring cotton granny panties.  Nothing interesting, like maybe French cut, or a thong.  Or even stockings and a garter belt.


Waiting for a parking spot at the university

Anyway.  I stopped, bent over, pulled up my skirt to over my fat tummy, smiled and said "I've lost a lot of weight lately.  Ok, let's just forget that ever happened."

And we walked inside to the interview room on the second floor. 

The first part was with a group of LGBT students.  Part two was with HR and the person who would be my boss.  Y'know- the person WHO WATCHED MY SKIRT FALL DOWN.

Yes, she's the head of the department.

So, the last premade question they had for me was about handling stress.  Seriously.  Well, I talked about my paramedic days- running into burning buildings, making split second life or death decisions, and all that.  I mentioned working retail and having people call me every name except "child of God" and taking it without acting.  Then I smiled and said "Talking about stress, I was walking in here for this interview, and my skirt fell right to the ground.  Plop.  Right in front of [person.]  I just pulled it up, and kept going.  Later, I'll probably cry into my glass of wine or something, but no one here will see that.  No one at work sees it."

That got a good laugh all around.

I was then given a tour, and ended up speaking to the director one on one.  And then it was over.  I went to the University bookstore, which was in the building, to get a car magnet for my Wife.  You see, this school is her Alma mater.

I drove towards home, picked up Linda, who was halfway through her six mile walk home from work, and we went to lunch.


The Full Ensemble with the Fall Away Skirt


After lunch, we went back to the apartment.  I changed clothes.

Now, I wait.  I think the interview went well, all thing considered.  But I usually think they go well until I hear nothing or get the brusque email saying, in so many words "You suck."

I have an interview set up next week with a different place.  (Two in two weeks!  A record!)

Hope I can keep my skirt on this time.  Or shall I wear some interesting panties, just in case?


Be well.


Update March 11:  I didn't get the job.

10 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the interview(s), hon! And kudos for how you handled your skirt deciding to go AWOL too! :c)

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie -

    You may have shown you can handle stress by how you managed your wardrobe failure. All women have experienced it, especially after a visit to the loo when wearing a dress with hosiery. Given that most places only interview 5-10 people for a position, the odds may be with you to get that job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    And if you get that job, the next time I'm in your area, I'll buy you the first beverage to celebrate. (It could be a simple cup of coffee. I don't drink that often.)

    Good Luck

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should wear both, interesting panties and a stay on skirt :-)
    Fingers crossed you get a positive outcome from the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! It sounds very much like something that would happen to me. LOL
    I wish you the best of luck my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats and good luck...way to turn a negative into a positive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds great - good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. You handled the stress well... I hope it nets you the desired result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, hon! This job sounds wonderful! As for the skirt, don't worry. I had the exact same thing happen a few years ago in court as I walking off the witness stand. I was mortified but, heck, stuff happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophie:

    If not that job, then it wasn't the right job. But I think you'll get an offer.

    As for the wardrobe malfunction , I suppose suspenders (a la firemen's) are out of the question? It would be a fix -- and a conversation starter at the next interview.

    Best of luck. We're all in your corner.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. My experience on both sides of the interviewing table is that the hardest but is getting the interview to start with. Most positions will get multiple applicants, they have to be sifted down to only a few interviewees any of whom could do the job, the interview process is then about fitting in, how you come across, how you present etc. etc. by then the bar is very high, but they know, and you should know that if you are interviewed then they know you can do the job.

    If not this one, then maybe the next, but you will find something that suits, probably much better than the previous one.

    ReplyDelete