Saturday, August 24, 2019

Men of the Skull Chapter 55: Busy Week

Sorry it's been a while.  I've moved back to PSU to start my PhD.

back then, what happened that night didn't bother me.  It was a typical social.  With hindsight (and age) I see how many horrible things were happening here.  The social was meant to get the Little Sisters drunk and "in the mood."  It was rape waiting to happen.

And not only didn't I care, I thought it was a great idea.  What does that say about the person I was in 1987?  I'm ashamed of myself.

I'd like to say fraternities have outgrown this, but a look at the headlines during the school year shows me otherwise.

I remember thinking back then that if I had a daughter, I'd NEVER want her to attend PU because I saw what the guys were like. Now all these years later, I have a daughter.  I fear for her.


*******************************************************


Chapter 55: Busy Week

Wednesday, March 25, 1987 A holy war erupts among television’s evangelists

            Pimps and ‘Hos.  That was the theme for that night’s Crow social for Brothers and Lil Sisters only: no dates.  The brothers of Alpha Chi Rho were looking to get laid that night.  See the idea was that if the girls dress sluttier, they’ll behave sluttier.  Get it?
            Virginia wore her black tube top and blue spandex leggings with borrowed six inch heels and heavy make up.  I found out later that Judy wore a white pant suit with a tight cleavage revealing top.
            Me?  I did homework and ordered pizza from Pizza Pi with Mark.  What I didn’t know was that it was the beginning of a very busy weekend.

From the Collegian, March 25, 1987
          
            About 3 AM the fucking phone rang.
            “Who the hell is that?”  Mark grumbled.  I stumbled into the kitchen to answer it.
            “CannIcom-comover?”  Virginia slurred.
            “Where are you?” I asked.
            “At ththth-house.”
            “Want me to come get you?”
            A pause.

            “N-no.  Can mmake it.”
            Fifteen minutes later, I met her at the back door of the apartment building (it was normally a five minute walk.)  She could barely stand, even though she lost the shoes somewhere, and she looked disheveled but still incredibly slutty, but with one difference.  She had her belligerent look on her face.  I expected to hear all about the night, but no- she collapsed into my arms.  I helped her upstairs and into my bed where she immediately passed out, smelling of smoke, beer and whatever, with her clothes still on.

Thursday, March 26, 1987 Men Held in Torture Killings

            Another really fucking early morning found me headed back out to Kishacoquillas High School with four classmates.  Virginia was still out like a light.  I thought about that for a second.  My girlfriend just spent the night in my bed and no one said anything against it.  I watched her chest rise and fall as she slept.  That thought kept me going through the day.
           
            The trip home was nice.  Spring finally reached the mountains a bit.  My one classmate, Sandi was wearing a tight, blue low cut dress for the day.  Appropriate?  Who cares!
            We were all hungry, so the guy driving pulled into the Burger King on University Drive. 
            “Didn’t you used to work here, Lance?”  Sandi said as we all piled out of the car.
            “Last fall.  Seems like so long ago,” I said.
            The four of them stepped over to the registers.  I had no money, so no food.
            Then, Judy, dressed in her tight BK uniform rushed out from the door to the back.  I must be dreaming!  She quit last fall around when I did!
            “Lance, I’m so glad I was able to speak to you first!”  Judy said. 
            I shook off the surprise and tried not to stare at her breasts.  “When did you start back here?”  I said.
            “Today is my first day back, but that’s not important.  I need for you to listen to me.  I need to explain something to you!”
            “Oh.  Ok.  What?”
            “Nothing happened, despite what Virginia thinks.  Really- nothing happened.”
            “What are you talking about?”  I said.
            “One of our pledges” she said, looking down at the floor, “spent the night in my room last night.  But nothing happened,” She said, looking back up at me.
            So why am I feeling that too familiar stab of pain in my gut- that rotted hollow feeling?  I shouldn’t.  I have Virginia now.
            “Ok.  Nothing happened.  Why do you care what I think?”  I said.
            She glared at me for a second.  “Because we’re still friends aren’t we?”
            “Yes,” I said.  “And I want you to be happy.”
            “Thank you.  Remember: nothing happened.”
            She ran back through the crew door.  Maybe a minute later, she brought me a chicken sandwich.  So when the others finished through the line, I already had food.  I just smiled at their questions.
            Nothing happened.
            An hour later, I arrived back at the apartment.  The sheets of my bed were clean and my bed was made.  Good!  I was really tired.  I collapsed onto the bed as twilight collapsed into night.
           

From the Collegian, March 25, 1987.  Yes, they got the year wrong


            “Wake up!  Wake up you lazy bastard!”  Virginia was shaking me by the shoulders.  How long was I asleep?  Only forty five minutes?  What the fuck!
            “Ok.  I’m awake.  What’s up?”  I said.  I wasn’t too fucking happy.
            “Judy cheated on Rich!”
            No shit.  I knew that last October.
            “So what?”
            “Miss Goody Two Shoes whore cheated on her boyfriend!” she said.
            “Wow!  How do you really feel?”
            She hit me in the arm really hard.
            “OW!  What the fuck!”  I said.  Virginia, why is what she does any of your business?”
            “You don’t have to live with her fucking superior attitude!”
            “Aren’t you overreacting?”
            WHACK!  In the arm again.
            “Stop hitting me!”  I shouted.
            “You’re not listening!” she shouted.
            “Ok.  Tell me what happened.”
            “I got back to the room and there were clothes all over the living room- Judy’s and Buck’s.”
            “Who?”
            “He’s a pledge who has a crush on her.  All the brothers were pressuring her to hook up with him.”
            “So you’re saying she did,” I said.
            “There were clothes all over the living room floor and on the couch and the bedroom door was locked!  I took a shower and when I came out all the clothes were gone.  What else could they have been doing?  Virginia said.
            “Maybe he was wearing your clothes?”
            She hit me again.  Same spot.
            “OW!  Stop that!”
            “He’s taller than you!”
            “OK.  So maybe she slept with him.  So what?”  I said.
            “She cheated on Rich!”
            “The brothers don’t seem to care!  They encouraged it!”
            “She’s always been Miss Uppity!  Now she can’t do that anymore!” she said.
            “Why not?  Besides, I never thought of her as uppity.”
            “That’s because you’re a guy she likes.” 
            She does?
            “She always plays little Miss Innocent around you,” Virginia said.
            Not really.  I thought of Judy’s naked breasts.
            “Something tells me I don’t want to get in the middle of this,” I said.
            “Why don’t you care about the things that are important to me?”  Virginia said, almost shouting.
            I reached up and pulled her down on top of me.
            “I care, but Judy is also my friend.  And no matter what happens, someone I care about will get hurt, and I don’t wanna be a part of that.  Does that make sense?”  I said.
            “No.”
            “Then just kiss me,” I said.
            And she did.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment