Sunday, November 18, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 28: Grocery Shopping

Again, this is a chapter that will be eliminated if the book is ever published.  The first paragraph will be folded into chapter 30.

It's odd- the things one remembers clearly.  I remember the look on Ashley's face as clear as crystal, as well as her jogging down the driveway at Beaver Hill.  These days it'd be called "triggering" as, back then, it's how I imagined any woman I'd ever asked out would look at me.

Silly?  Maybe.  But that's what I thought.  That's what a life of self-hatred does to one's perceptions.

************************************************************************


Chapter 28: Grocery Shopping

Tuesday, November 18, 1986 Reagan: No arms shipments planned

            Things were looking up!  Maybe the brothers were softening a bit- maybe the bullshit would stop soon.  After dinner the night before, Maple stopped to tell me that I could now attend pledge meetings.  They were Wednesdays and Sundays.
From that day's Collegian
            All of that was great, but it was yesterday.  Today I had to eat, and the refrigerator was empty.  Ashley drove me to the Weis market outside of town.  She seemed awkward and a little distant, but, being me, I really didn’t notice it.  My plan was to make her a nice dinner within the next few days and… continue what we started a couple of days ago.
            So after I carried my bag of groceries into Beaver Hill, Ashley said she had to go to class.  I walked her down the stairs and outside to the parking lot. 
            We stood looking at each other under the blue-gray cloudy sky.  She glanced around nervously. 
            “Thanks for the ride” I said.
            “You’re welcome” she said.  “I really have to go.”
            I moved closer to kiss her, and she pushed me away.
            What?
            “What’s wrong?”  I asked.
            She was several steps away, looking at me with panicked eyes.  I couldn’t understand.
            “Are you afraid of me?”  I asked. 
            She edged down the driveway.  “Yes” she said, her voice slightly cracking.
            “I…”  I shut up.  What could I say?
            She turned away and half jogged down the short steep hill to Beaver Avenue.  I watched her wait for a break in traffic, then run across the street.
            Stupid!  She opened her heart, and I was too dumb to take it!
            I felt the familiar hollowness- stupid and hollow.  I couldn’t even think about Judy and Virginia.  All I could think about was Ashley’s eyes and the fear, no- the pain, in them.
            Yet again, I was the dummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment