Sunday, July 29, 2018

Meredith's Writing challenge: "Apocalypse Now"

Apocalypse Now-

The end isn't near, it's here! You are alone (domestic animals and pets are ok) on the planet. Everyone is gone. Oddly all the technology that is currently working keeps doing so, but no humans. All modes of transport still work (somehow, don't ask, this isn't scientific). Where do you go? What do you do? Write me an idea, whisper me a story, leave me with your daydream- the world is your oyster, tell me what happens...

I don't know where everyone went, and frankly, I don't care.  I mean, they all went somewhere and I wasn't invited?  I don't need them.

Maybe it was the rapture, and I'm the only one God hates.  No sign of 600,000 Jews either.  It's just me.  And a LOT of starving animals.  Well, for a while I'll have fresh meat.  Yeah right.  Like I know how to butcher meat. 


https://redstarcafe.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/life-after-humans/


Well, at least the grocery stores are currently stocked.  I mean, the produce will go bad in a hurry and no fruit so hello scurvy, but I'll have enough canned food to last a while.  And plenty of can openers.  Vehicles?  Plenty.  Gas?  Plenty... until all the gas pumps run dry.

I can rescue myself a dog or three to keep me company.  After all, there's plenty of dog food too.  In fact, I could just go from shelter to shelter and open the cages. 

But...

Where did they all go?  There are no bodies.  No trace at all.  If they all just fell over dead, there would be bodies rotting everywhere.  Unless they were all disintegrated.  But then why wasn't I?

So.  I can go anywhere, until fuel runs out.  Do anything.  But I'm doing it alone.  I can go to an amusement park and ride all the rides with no lines... but I'm doing it alone.  Just me- no screaming teens on the roller coasters.  No children laughing and running around.  No young couples walking hand in hand.  No one to talk to about the movie I just saw (after figuring out how it's projected.)  No one to recommend a book to read. 

Table for one, please.  Oh wait- I can sit anywhere.  After all, I'm making the meal myself as well.

Where are they?  Are they hiding?

No doctors to help me when I get sick.  Look, there's a liquor store- all I could want to drink for free, but no one to drink it with.

Is my Wife and daughter with the rest of them?  Why did they leave me behind? 

I can run any red light I want- no police.  No other drivers.  Oh look- a gun store.  They'll have shotguns.  And shells. 

Ready or not- here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment