Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Letters

I still write letters.  I write a lot of them.  Usually long hand, sometimes typed, sometimes both.  Often, I write these at night when I'm alone with my thoughts.

Remember when everyone used to write letters?  And mail them?  And getting a letter made your day?  Just doesn't happen anymore does it?  Not in this world of instant communication.

99% of the letters I write, no one ever sees.

For example, I have, in my life, written six different "final letters."  To date, no one has read them.  (I have also written a final blog entry, which is somewhere in the "drafts" folder on this site.  No one has read that one either.  I update it from time to time, during long late nights.)

So why write them, you ask?

Well, it's writing for one- y'know keeping the ol' writing muscle in shape.  But it's also a way to get some things out of my system.  Kind of like therapy (especially since I haven't seen a therapist in over a year.)

Sometimes, the letters are written to facialbook friends, and they can get pretty long.  Most of those I DO send, as they're usually in reply to something sent to me.  Just today I sent a two page typed letter to someone on FB.

I also write letters in emails in response to questions people email to me.  They can be short or long, depending upon the question and my mood.

Keep your minds out of the gutter.

Wearing letters, July 2013 (get it?)  (Hee hee)

Most of the letters are longhand, and will never be read, as they are written to... well, people who won't read them.  Most of them are written to my dear sister Lisa, who has been gone 2 1/2 years.  We used to talk often, and this is just my way of keeping up.

With all that said, sometimes things from the letters DO turn up in a blog or column, or just on facialbook.  If I like them enough.

Remember when everyone used to write letters?  And mail them?  And getting a letter made your day?  Just doesn't happen anymore does it?  Not in this world of instant communication.  When I was away at Penn State, getting a letter from someone back home was just wonderful!  It was like a slice of friendship on paper.  And after graduation, getting letters from people who I went to school with meant even more.  They were lifelines to a time now gone and to people now distant.

I save all the letters: good or bad.

This letter is nearly 30 years old.

I miss getting paper letters.  But getting a personal email is almost as good!  With all the spam I (and I assume you, dear reader) receive, getting a personal message is a welcome change.

Makes a girl feel connected somehow, in this age of impersonal instant communication.

Am I the only one who writes letters?  Who likes reading them?  I doubt it.

Be well.








No comments:

Post a Comment