Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Random Thoughts... Oh look a shiny object!

Ok, this is going to be a bit free-flowing.  Several topics with no real cohesion.

First:  Last weekend, my wife made things up to me.


Those who read this little exercise in mental gymnastics (to which right wingers give a score of “2”) will recall that my wife was really nasty to me on Father’s Day. And that I gave her hell about it. And she apologized.

Last Sunday, she decided she would make Father’s Day. She made me breakfast. We went out as a family and then to lunch. It was a wonderful day. Then I went to work, where it was the usual collection of abusive, entitled people. But- my wife made an effort to give me a good day, and I am grateful.


So, what’s next on my Sophie schedule? I’m not sure. There’s a big party at the Raven in New Hope in a few weeks. If I’m not working I’ll go. These well attended parties are put on by a wonderful woman named Jen Bryant and are always so much fun! I really hope I can go.

On a different note:  The Supreme Court ruled on the Arizona immigration law.  Important, yes.  More important was another ruling the same day.  The Conservatives in the court ruled that a state cannot stop corporations from buying elections within its borders. 

Let's put this into perspective:  on the same day the right wing is screaming about the federal government overturning "state's rights" on the Arizona ruling, they celebrate the EXACT SAME THING happening in Montana.  Why, you ask?  Simple- the corporations have the GOP bought and paid for.  I've long suspected that the GOP had the court in its pocket.  This ruling proves it.  It also proves that a private citizen no longer has a voice in US politics.  Remember: Corporations are People.  And people are corporate assets, to be used and thrown away at will. 

As I wrote on Facebook:

"Ahh, Shakespeare as he would write today. Merchant of Venice, Act 3, Scene 1



I am a CORPORATION. Hath


not a CORPORATION eyes? hath not a CORPORATION hands, organs,


dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with


the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject


to the same diseases, healed by the same means,


warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as


a Person is? If you prick us..., do we not bleed?


if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison


us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not


revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will


resemble you in that. If a CORPORATION wrong a Person,


what is his humility? Revenge. If a Person


wrong a CORPORATION, what should his sufferance be by


Person example? Why, revenge. The villany you


teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I


will better the instruction."
 
 
Ok.  I've said that. 

I'm buying tickets for LGBT night at the Phillies for myself and three friends.  So I'll be going to a Philadelphia sports event as Sophie.  We Philly sports fans have a reputation as being, well, nasty.  A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy.  And I'm not saying we don't deserve it.  I've been in the stands watching the fights, hearing the boos, etc.  So why am I crazy enough to show up in a skirt?  (BTW-that Santa Claus thing?  Happened in 1968.  Give it a rest already!)


Probably this skirt to be precise


Well, for one, if I intend to live as a woman, I can't be intimidated by this sort of thing.  If I were, I'd never leave the house.  Am I scared?  Definitely.  Which brings me to point two:  I'll be there with Thousands of LGBT people.  So if there were ever a day to try this feat, this game is it.  And when I do this, I'll know that I've accomplished something big. 

Not as big as walking out the door that first time, but close.  They're all steps toward The Goal.

Am I Woman enough to go through with it?

We'll see.

One last bit of news: I received a prescription to get skull x-rays for FFS.  Using these, the Doctor will be able to see how much work needs to be done and give me a solid estimate.  I wonder if he can just give me a whole new head- it may be easier!  ;)


Needs Work

You know- I do see a little cohesion to this particular blog.  A theme, if you will.  It wasn't intentional, really, but it's there. 

Courage.

My wife showed a lot of courage apologizing as she did.  Jen Bryant shows a LOT of courage every time she goes out, but especially when she works so hard to host events like she does.  (Angela has that same courage.)  We here in America will require a LOT of courage to overcome the coming coup de tat engineered by the GOP and their corporate masters.  Going to Philly sports event en femme?  I hope I have the courage.

Courage will carry the day.  I have to keep believing that.



1 comment:

  1. If you go to the game in a skirt, the Wizard of Oz will confer a commendation of 'Courage' on you.

    The Wizard has already recognized that you wife has a healthy, beating heart.

    The Wizard is, however, concerned with Sophie's heart by taking one of the most severe comments on anti-semitism and using it as a condemnation of corporations. Adapting Shylock's "Hath not a Jew eyes" speech as a means of attacking corporations is quite extreme.

    I would like to be generous and think that your tongue was in your cheek but it seems that your hatred of corporations is deep and unyielding. Not only are corporations considered as a 'person' under the law, corporations provide jobs, services, investments, inovations, etc. Sometimes they succeed...sometimes they fail...often times someone took a risk to try to succeed. They are not all bad or all good.

    In 2008 the majority of corporate political giving went to the Democrats. Do you agree that corporations have a right to recognize their errors?

    Accept your wife's love and courage.

    Pat

    PS: I first read "The Merchant of Venice" back during the LBJ administration. I knew that in Elizabethan theater the roles of women were played by men. Your blog reminded me of my teenage reveries of wanting to be 'Portia' the beautiful heiress.

    ReplyDelete