Saturday, April 18, 2020

Dolls in the hallway.

March 21 was, to date, the last time I saw my daughter.  I drove down to watch her while Wife had surgery.   I noticed that Daughter's room was cleared out of almost all of her toys- especially her stuffed animals.  She kept some, yes.  All the unwanted stuffed animals and dolls were lined up in the hallway.  They were to be given away or sold.  Many of them, I'd given her.  Some I'd given to Wife before Daughter was even a possibility. 

Daughter outgrew them.


Daughter (here 4 years old) LOVED that horse.  Then... she got too big to ride it.

Her childhood is over, and with it, that sense of Wonder at the world- that sense of innocent discovery.  That time to play with her toys in worlds of her own mind that I will never see.  But I could have- all I had to do was to be there to watch.  Or even sometimes participate.  But, those worlds are hers alone, and she didn't access them when I was around because my being around was a "special occasion" instead of a given routine. 

When I was there, we couldn't be in the house, as I'm not allowed there.  So we always had to go somewhere- usually to the mall, or the grocery store, or to lunch.  Wife would be there as well.  It was very rare that I was with Daughter alone, and I'm ok with that, as it meant I was with Wife. 

She is now a pre-teen.  Puberty began some time ago.  It won't be long before she begins to have an interest in boys (or girls) romantically.  Crushes.  Heartbreaks.  Love's little joys and humiliations.  That first dance.  The first kiss. 

But dad is far away, and won't be there to share her joy when I pick her up from the dance, or to comfort her sorrow at the first rejection. 

Dad isn't there.  Dad hasn't been there.  For going on seven years.  She was FIVE when I was thrown out.  She was a young child, a precocious little girl whose happiness was my chief desire- whose well-being was my top responsibility.  Who lived under the same roof, slept a couple of rooms away, and who ate at the same table.  When she ate- she was a picky eater. 


Daughter at Disney, 2011.  I wasn't invited- and had to work

It all ended because I was Born Different.  Because I couldn't contain that difference burning inside me.  I did so for twenty five years... then failed.  Now, I'm miles away, and her childhood ended without me.

One of my few memories of my pre-teen years was that I didn't want my childhood to end.  I enjoyed playing with my toys, each with their own personalities, and retreating into that world where I HAD these friends- even though most of them were plastic.  And they were friends with each other.  And there were adventures.  And when i lay in bed crying after another spanking, or after being beat up by the neighborhood bully- knowing that I wasn't supposed to cry- MEN don't cry. 

"Do I have to come up there?" I'd hear echo up the winding stairs of the old house where I grew up.  Everyone my age knows THAT phrase.

My toys would play games with me.  I'd set up a board game, and my toys would take the other pawn colors so I'd have "opponents."  Rarely, my brother would join in with his toys, so there'd be teams, and we'd keep score of victories (winner choses next game) on rainy summer days.  Eventually, I lost interest in those games.  I pretended to lose interest in my toys.  They started slowly to disappear.  Sold?  Thrown out?  No idea.


Sixth Grade- when I was Daughter's current age

I still have some of them.  They once lived in an old, large wooden toy box, but now live in two cardboard boxes in storage.  Every once in a while, when I visit the storage unit alone, I'll open one of those boxes, look in, and there'd they be- lifeless, some broken- plastic.  Outgrown- because that's what happens.  I remember desperately wanting more time to play, but I had to go work my (and my brother's) paper route.  Homework.  Eventually, girls.  And... dressing up like the girl I knew I was inside. 

Maybe the reason I like gaming (D&D, etc.) so much is because I didn't want that time to end.  That I wanted more time to be a child, instead of... what I've become.

I don't know how daughter feels about "outgrowing" her toys.  I don't know if she gives them a second thought.  Unlike me, she isn't the sentimental type.  She sets things aside and moves on; a skill I never acquired.   


I know it's unfair- it's her time to grow up, but I DON'T WANT HER TO because I missed it.  Because I wanted to share that childhood with her, and see it through her eyes and maybe catch some of that sense of Wonder that I so desperately miss in myself. 


Here I am.  Sobbing at my keyboard over something that I'm powerless to stop or change.  My God I hate my life.  I hope she doesn't hate hers.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my dear friend . . . I'm not saying that this makes it any better, but EVERY parent goes through this. ALL parents feel a horrible guilt that they didn't give their children enough of their time, that they weren't there as much as they should or could have been. EVERY PARENT, even the outstanding ones. Every parent also has to come to terms with their child growing up. I have one son who is now 31 years old. I am racked with guilt when I think of how much of my time I didn't give him. My daughter is now 16. The little one that used to run to me and plead with me to pick her up, put some music on, and dance with her now can't be bothered to even reply when I knock on her bedroom door. The little one that I adore so much for all of her life no longer has time for me. I'm not trying to tell you that your hurt is not valid, I just want you to know that you are not alone, and that every parent that I know of has the same feelings and the same pain . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had lost my children...or it looked that way, at least. Time has a way of creating opportunities for beautiful relationships. I trust your daughter with some more age on her, will come to know the beautiful person you have become.

    Time is our friend. <3 Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed time can be our friend, as life changes... moves ahead, even this time of the virus...

      Delete
  3. Dear Sophie,

    As a transwoman who is in the midst of coming out full-time...I have been a LONG time lurker/reader and have written post but never submitted for fear of offending you. I am offering these words as something to THINK about.

    The past is the past...there is NOTHING anyone of us can do about our past. we ALL have regrets, we ALL would like some "do-overs", but they don't exist. Take the lessons that have been learned, but dwelling on past happenings is just not a constructive outlook. "Looking backward" accomplishes nothing and only pollutes the present moment...a moment you should all cherish as you are alive and breathing

    For example, regarding this post, try being thankful that you got to spend time with your daughter...she's a pre-teen/teenager and she's not acting abnormally...all kids do this...is the way of Nature and it is OK. Spend as much time with her and be thankful for that. There is good in EVERYTHING if you look hard enough.

    Accept who you are with gratitude and be grateful. It breaks my heart to read things like this from the above post.

    "That I wanted more time to be a child, instead of... what I've become."

    How many people are truly living THEIR lives as their REAL selves? You are...you should be SO proud of how hard things have been for you and YOU ARE STILL STANDING. Not many people have that strength. Be thankful for your iron will. How many people are living their educational dreams? I am not, but you are. It been HARD, but you are STILL STANDING...be grateful for the strength that you have. It got you re-admitted to school and you are doing great!

    Death is always a hard one, but it's an immutable natural shadow that hangs around all of us. When people in our lives pass away, be GRATEFUL for the time you had together and the things you shared. It doesn't mean you don't mourn them and aren't sad they are gone...make the best of bad situation and FIND the good.

    I would really recommend reading some of the Stoic works...it is not religious at all, but there are life lessons that still apply to us 2000 years later. I am reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius for the second time and I am still learning from it.

    It makes me so sad to read the sadness in your posts when you have a lot to be grateful for. Just write down all the good things you have and awesome things you have accomplished, be proud of them and find the morsel of Good when a shitty situation presents itself and you cannot change it.

    Take care,

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and posting Kathi. FYI: I don't offend easily.
      I've read Meditations several times.
      Yes, I'm still standing - God only knows how or why. I'm working on a PhD because someone needs to solve the problem I'm working on- so why not me.
      As for living my Truth... I've written about that often. Everyone COULD do it, if they were prepared to take the losses and pain that almost surely follows. That price is too high for so many. For me, it was transition or death.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sophie,

    Thank you so much for the reply. Transitioning is hard enough, as we both know, but Life's challenges can make it even more difficult.

    When we decide to transition, it is truly putting EVERYTHING on one number of the roulette table and hoping for the best...the scariest thing I have ever done.

    Fortunately, my wife and I are still together. Believe me when I say that it has NOT been easy. We may still not make it, but if we don't, I will be forever grateful for her efforts to make our marriage work. I am fortunate that I am keeping my job...appreciating also that not all of us get to do so. So far my only real loss has been a 10+ year family friends. They didn't even want to attempt to know ME. But that's OK...they both showed me how much I meant to them...and it wasn't much.

    All we can do is just keeping putting one foot in front of the other...no matter WHAT happens and try to find the morsel of good in some of life's worst situations.

    Keep at it...Dr. Sophie has a lot of Good to do and she is only getting started.

    "You should be like a rocky promontory against which the restless surf continuously pounds. It stands fast while the churning sea is lulled to sleep at its feet.

    "I hear you say – ``How unlucky that this should happen to me''. But not at all. Perhaps say instead how lucky I am that I am not broken by what has happened, and I am not afraid of what is about to happen. For the same blow might have stricken any one, but not many who would have absorbed it without capitulation and complaint."

    Take Care,

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete