Thursday, June 7, 2018

Phone Screening

Phone interview for instructional design position, Wednesday at 3:45. 

Them: "I notice you haven't held an instructional design position in over four years. Can you explain the reason for this?"

Me: *honest as usual* *in a pleasant tone* I am transgender. I transitioned a little more than four years ago. That's when the phone calls and emails offering contracts came to a sudden stop."

Them: *pause of maybe 5 seconds* "Oh. Ummm... *pause*  Next question..."

I somehow don't see me getting to the next level on this one.


Story of my life since my transition.


Still unemployed.

3 comments:

  1. Sophie -

    You may want to say that there was a private family issue that had to be addressed, and that you were not able to give instructional design your full attention during this period. (You are part of a family, and you don't have to make your transition a public issue until someone has the chance to meet you in person.) I may be a little disingenuous, but your task is to get that interview - and let them see you as a real person. If they ask again when they see you, you could mention transition at that time - noting all the prejudice people like you face.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie,

    I'm sorry your job search is so frustrating. I've been there (multiple times), and I know how soul-draining it can be.

    Like you, I'm a writer (and even did a bit of instructional design on a few occasions); if I can help in any way (taking a look at your resume, cover letters, etc.) I would be more than happy to do so. I actually enjoy working on resumes (sad, I know! lol), so you would really be doing me a favor. :D

    Joking aside, the offer is totally sincere, so please feel free to drop me a line at missmurrah@gmail.com if you like. It truly would be my pleasure. :c) Hang in there, honl!!!

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete