Monday, August 10, 2015

Job Opportunity

I just received the following phone call within the hour.  So what I write here is verbatim, except with edits to preserve their identity.


RING RING

Me:  Hello?

Them:  May I speak to Lance please?

M:  Who may I say is calling?  [note: I guess my femme voice has improved]

T: XYZ with PDQ Technical recruiting.

M:  (without shifting voice) This was.

T:  Ok hello!  I came across your resume on Monster.com.  Are you still in the market for a full time position?

M: I am working full time.  Why?  What's the position?

T:  It's a contract to hire Instructional Design position.  Would you be interested in the details?

M:  I'm not really interested in contract work.  I have a full time job with benefits.

T:  Well, this one is almost sure to be full time in a year.  Would you like some information?

M:  Maybe.  But first, you need to know that my name is no longer Lance.  It's now Sophie.  I'm transgender.  Will that be an issue?

T:  [pause of a heartbeat or two]  I'll get back to you. Thanks for your time.  *click*


Professional? (makeup and photo: Amanda Richards of True Colors)


2 comments:

  1. He was a bad headhunter... Should have asked you if he could send you in as Sophie, and let the potential employer make the decision. If he was THAT desperate to fish through old resumes, your current presented gender should make no difference at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...sort of sounds like discrimination to me...

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete