Friday, December 6, 2013

Turkeys

Thanksgiving 2013 has come and gone.

Wife and I compromised on the holiday.  As I was forbidden from being at MIL's house for Christmas, Wife agreed to go to my parent's for Thanksgiving.

I didn't want to do this, but it's only fair that they see Daughter sometimes, right?

So.  There was a Nor'easter coming toward Delaware (where my parents live) which may have flooded their street.  As in several feet deep. So they warned me that their place may be inaccessible. That meant alternate plans. My initial alternate plan was to tell Wife to go eat with her family while I fended for myself.  I'd been blessed with a couple of dinner invitations.

Wife said no. We were going to have Thanksgiving TOGETHER as a family, even if it meant eating Chinese take out.

Pass the white meat, General Tso!

In any case,  the storm turned, the flooding avoided, so Wednesday afternoon Wife, Daughter, dog and myself slowly made our way south to my parents' house in southern Delaware.

View from Pier


We stopped for dinner just north of Rehoboth.  Wife and Daughter had Wendys and I had Popeyes.  Monumental I know, but I love Popeyes and we don't have them up my way.  The service always sucks and the chicken has to be so very bad for me but it's soooooooo goooood!

We arrived at my parents after dark.  Greetings exchanged.  The first of MANY comments about my hair.  They did NOT, however, ask about my home situation.  I'm glad.  And a bit surprised.

I sweated the entire rainy night, as my parents keep the house at 80 degrees.

The next day was freezing cold.  Wife, Daughter and I went first to Rehoboth Beach, so Daughter could collect shells on the wind blown beach.  That didn't last long as it was so damn cold.  We then went to Bethany Beach briefly.  Then back to the house. 

Rehoboth Beach


Daughter and my dad took a walk.  I took a nap. 

Dinner was quite good.  We stayed for a little after, and we hit the road.  After all, I had to be at work at 6 AM the next day.

An hour after we left, my dad had a minor heart attack.  He's fine, but it made me think about a few things.

I wrote about a few of them in my TG Forum column that I did the next day.

So what will happen when I tell him my Truth?

About that.  I'm going down after Christmas.  I'm writing a letter, which I will read to them to keep on task.  And here's good news:  Wife said she'll come with me on this trip.  That's wonderful!

More wonderful is that MIL is going away for Christmas, so I'll see my family that day.  A prayer answered!


So went the holiday.  In the end, aside from the medical bit, it went better than expected. 

Now it's the retail slog to Christmas.

And I'm the Grinch.

;)






1 comment:

  1. Sophie -

    There's much more to your wife's feelings than she realizes, and you should be grateful for that. Even though she can't stay with you as a wife if you're becoming a woman (as I see things), she still considers you as family for better or worse. Your MIL is a problem that you can't fix. But I have a feeling that your parents will accept you and your transition. Just be careful when you bring this up....

    And good luck!!!

    M

    ReplyDelete