Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Originally posted Nov 1, 10. "What a Night"

It’s been a very crazy month in Sophie-land. Too much to explain, so I’ll sum up.

In mid-September I was all ready to go to Laptop Lounge early in the week. I had an appointment with Amanda for makeup and all was well. Then my wife gave me Penn State football tickets for that weekend. As a loyal Penn Stater, any other time I would’ve been ecstatic, but this time… ummm I NEED my Sophie time.

So I canceled my Amanda appointment and on the early morning of September 18, I went to PSU to watch the game. It was a beautiful warm day in Happy Valley, and the Nittany Lions won. I also got a bit sunburned.

I drove home as fast as I could, and decided to go to Laptop anyway. I did my own makeup and arrived around midnight. So I got both the game AND my Sophie time!





A couple weeks later, my friend Mary was in town from Pittsburgh, and she, Jen and I decided to go to Monday Night T-Girls on a rainy night. The theme was naughty teachers and school girls. I did my own makeup and had a great time. On the way back to the car, all three of us were splashed by a police car going through a puddle. After the initial shock, we laughed like crazy.






What I didn’t know is that night, I entered someone’s drama. More later.


Fast forward to Oct 16. Another Laptop, and I wore the first draft of my Halloween costume as a Saint Pauli Girl. This night was highlighted by walking over to TGI Fridays in the same mall for a drink. No one even blinked.





Ok, so the stage is set for my favorite holiday: Halloween. Two years ago, I rediscovered myself on Halloween, so I regard it as “Sophie’s birthday.”


Sat, Oct 30: I have 3 parties. I go to Amanda for makeup and wear my Mary Marvel suit from last year. As I didn’t know where the first party was, I stopped at King of Prussia mall. It was packed and I walked around dressed as Mary Marvel. I got some looks but many more people making appreciative comments! I went to Comics and More, where they knew exactly who I was (Mary Marvel) and took some pics.





After the mall, I went to Fox and Hound, a nearby bar/restaurant. I received many kind comments and only one “stink eye.” Jen finally called me and I took my food to go. Off to Exton for a party!


I arrived and found some of the “royalty” of the Philly TG scene: Sandy, Danielle, Jen and so many others. If it weren’t for the confidence I gained by walking in the mall, etc, I may have felt out of my league. I just relaxed and felt at home with my sisters.

Then it was off to another party. This was held by a former co-worker. None of the people there had ever seen me dressed. The hostess didn’t recognize me. One guy clocked me as my walk “wasn’t feminine.” Ok, gotta work on that.


There was a bonfire, and my costume smelled badly of smoke. I played (and won) beer pong. It was a good time, but it wasn’t really Sophie time. It was “guy in a dress time” if that makes sense.




Ok, off to Laptop for their Halloween gala! Great time! Went to Fridays again, took pics, and had a ball. Cleaned up, went home.


Woke up the next day for Halloween. Went to Amanda’s for makeup, then into Philly to the Sheraton, where the Henri David ball is held. I had a room, where I relaxed for a bit and did my nails. I was waiting for some friends to arrive. Eventually, I went to the bar and enjoyed a drink with Lorraine, who made my costume.




The party started and was a BLAST! So many talented costumes!





Fast forward to the end of the night. The aforementioned drama person. Seems she was insulted that I implied she was dating a friend of mine. I apologized and let it go, out of respect for that friend. Well DP (drama person) didn’t want to let it go. She got in my face. Yelled. Threatened. Postured. I pointed out that being arrested would not be a positive ending for the night, but I didn’t back down. In fact it was all I could do from losing it on her. (I’m sure I’m not the only one who covered their feminine side with anger.)



See, my feminine side calms me. As a youth I fought a LOT. (Opinionated + big mouth= fights) So I learned how to fight. As DP was pointing and posturing, I was choosing targets. However, that’s not Sophie. And damn DP for pulling something I thought long buried to the surface while I was dressed! She has no idea what she avoided, and what may have happened. Or of the damage she has done.

In the end, all I know is that I have been threatened. I am still angry. And as Sophie, I really have a minimal “safety net” as my wife and friends don’t know. So I’m kinda on my own here (locally.)


I’m scared. So many things can go wrong now. How can I be a positive force for the community with such a negative force out there, wanting to draw me into their drama? How can such a negative force exist? Don’t we have enough arrayed against us as a group? Do we really need this petty bs?


In the end, I spent over $600 for this night, to have it ruined by a drama queen. But you know what? I think I looked great, and expanded my horizons. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

1 comment: