Friday, January 19, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 5: Beginnings

In this chapter, I introduced one of the other main people in this story: "Judy."  As with all people in this book, Judy is a real person.  I wrote down our conversation in my journal that night.  I can't remember why I did, but, well, there it is.  So our conversation is word for word.  Yes, my reparte was that lame.  Wonder why I couldn't get dates?

I worked at Burger King in Spring City during my high school years- from 1982-84.  I've written blog entries about how that job changed me.  I was fifteen when I started... and a crossdresser.  I didn't let ANYONE into my life, lest they discover my shameful secret.  But, people managed to break through my barriers, and I made some wonderful friends there.  It was my first experience with people who were NOT in my high school.  Also, I used some of my BK money to order feminine clothes from the Sears catalogue- my first wardrobe!  (If you don't remember the Sears catalogue, ask your parents about it.)

In any case, Judy is still my friend all these years later.  She has been supportive of my transition, but has never met Sophie.  She also knows about this book, and asked me to keep her name private- hence the pseudonym Judy.

Everything else relevant about her will be revealed in the book.

Oh, and those uniforms?  They were as uncomfortable as they were ugly.


*********************************************************

Chapter 5: Beginnings

Wednesday, September 3, 1986 Soweto officials face a lethal rage

First day of work.  It was bright and warm, so I rode my bike down to University drive.  It’s all downhill, so it took five minutes.
Walking through the door into the back of the restaurant, I pulled on the rust color corduroy uniform over my T-shirt and bent the bill of the corduroy hat so I wouldn’t look so dorky- As if that could be helped in this outfit.  I then reported to the front next to the registers where the manager was waiting.  Joyce was youngish, maybe 30, with a tight butt but a face that showed the worry of an eighty hour a week job.  Her dark hair was tied back in a ponytail.

Burger King, University Drive.  July 1988

“Since you’ve worked at a BK before, I’m putting you back here on specialty board.  Think you can handle that?”  Specialty board was where things like chicken sandwiches or ham and cheese sandwiches were made.  It was relatively easy, but the food took longer to make there so it was kept separate from the burger boards.
“No problem.”
“If you run into trouble, just give a yell.”
She walked into the back area toward the office, and I promptly helped myself to a couple of chicken nuggets. Not two feet behind my back was the stainless steel back of the fryers, so it was very hot by the specialty board.  Fortunately, I was allowed to have a soda with me.  It was 11:30, and the lunch rush would be starting any time.  I looked over at the burger board, not five feet away.  A short girl with her black hair tied back stood there playing with the lettuce.  Her uniform was the same color as mine, but she wore a corduroy visor.  Her skin was light, and she seemed lost in her own world.
“You shouldn’t do that.  You’ll catch the dreaded Letticitus!”
She turned and smiled. 
“Oh, so I’ll turn green?”  Her voice was a pleasant alto, with a hint of New Jersey nasal.
“Something like that.  I’m Lance, you’re…”
“I’m Judy.”
She extended her hand and smiled wider.  I accepted her handshake and looked her over.  Her eyes were hazel and inviting.  Her bright smile immediately made me glad I spoke to her.  Her uniform stretched tightly around her large breasts.  The top button had popped off.  I tried not to stare. 

  
Burger King Uniforms circa 1983-87

“How long have you worked here, Judy?”
“Oh, a couple of weeks now.  Is this your first day?”
“Here, yeah.  I worked at a Burger King at home though.”
A bored sounding voice crackles over the speakers. 
“Three hamburgers, six piece tenders, two large fry, two Pepsis.”
The rush began, so talking time ended.  A couple of hours later, Judy clocked out.
“Well Lance, it was nice meeting you!”
“Nice meeting you too.  When do you work again?”
“Wednesday.  Same hours.”
“Well, I’ll see you then!”
I spent the rest of my shift working both specialty and burger boards.  An hour later, my shift ended.  I pulled off the uniform, put it in my bag, and rode back to my apartment.  The day was hotter, the ride was all uphill, and I smelled like pickles.


No comments:

Post a Comment