Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sleep Well, Cerise

The trans community was stunned this morning by the announcement that Dr. Cerise Richards had passed.  She had been battling leukemia for 18 years, and it resurfaced, taking her quickly.


Her FB Profile Pic

I met Cerise many times.  And every time she took the time to talk with me.  She read this blog and seemed to know everything going on in my life.  She had an amazing memory.

Cerise was a chief of urology at Georgetown University Hospital, but she also was passionate about proving the theory that TGs have female brains.  In fact, she gave speeches at conferences (several times at the Keystone Conference, for example) on the topic of brain gender.  As this area is also one of my particular interests, we spoke in depth about it.  She was even kind enough to send me her presentation slides which were very full (over full?) of information.

She was very giving of her time and advice.  Many times at Keystone, I would have the makeover appointment after her with Amanda Richards.  (And was she ever picky about her appearance!  Just ask Amanda!)  I'd be waiting sometimes an hour, but the time flew by as Cerise talked to me about my life and about how others dealt with my situations.  She knew everybody.

And everybody knew her.

Her contributions to the TG World are endless.  She was a columnist at TG Forum, where I also have a column.  She was a patron of the Keystone Conference.  She started TG clubs.  She mentored.  She laughed.

I can't begin to list everything she's done.

Anything I write will not be enough to cover this woman's greatness.  Her passing has left a huge hole in many people's lives.

I have lost a friend and mentor.  The TG community has lost a Giant.

Sleep well, dear friend.  May the four winds blow you safely home.


2 comments:

  1. I corresponded with her on several occasions and she commented on some of my posts when I was on the PinkEssence website at one time. She was a very intelligent woman and strong advocate for the TG cause. She will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cerise was a incredibly wonderful mentor to me and I guess this humble post is my only chance to tribute her. I have been FT transition for many years but during my transition time , Cerise was a great friend who advised, supported and pointed me in the right direction many times. We roomed together at conferences and I stayed at her lovely home when we socialized in her area. She was generous in every way . Quite simply she was one of the few people I ever met that it would be hard to find anything negative about.
    I too remember her meticulous nature about her makeup and will always keep her inspiration in that regard in my memory when I struggle with the daily effort to "do makeup".
    We fell out of contact for a few years and it was two years ago when I ran into her at a ice cream shop. She was as sweet and wonderful as she always was.....our community will miss her......
    Tina

    ReplyDelete